Latest News
-
Wizz Air CEO: Wizz Air to open hub in Israel in April
Wizz Air Chief Executive Jozsef Vasradi announced that Wizz Air will open a hub for Israel by April. The Israeli government hopes this move will lower the cost of aviation. Varadi met last week with Israel's Transportation Minister Miri regev and stated in a Sunday statement that Wizz was working to resolve regulatory issues and other matters by the end January. Varadi told Regev on Thursday that Wizz was "fully committed" to the idea of opening a Wizz facility in Israel. Varadi stated that lowering the cost of living was a major concern for governments all over the world. He said: "This is where... we can add value by creating an affordable air traffic infrastructure." Wizz operates 36 bases across 19 countries. The Hungary-based carrier is looking at establishing a base either at Ben Gurion International Airport, near Tel Aviv where it operates flights currently, or at the smaller Ramon Airport, near the Red Sea resort of Eilat, at Israel's southernmost tip. Israeli media reported Wizz will invest $1 billion over the next 3 years in the Israeli market by adding 50 routes, stationing 10 aircraft and creating 4,000 new jobs. Regev stated that Israel faces high living costs and that competition would be the only way to lower them. She acknowledged that Israeli carriers were responsible for the majority of travel during the Gaza War, as other airlines had ceased operations. However, she said that the increase in airfares and the public's anger was a result. Regev stated in a statement that "we are committed to lowering the prices, increasing seat capacity and improving service." Regev's plan is not fair to two of Israel's carriers, Israir & Arkia. They don't object to competition but Regev's plan is not fair. Israir claimed that it created "unjustified gaps" between Israeli and other airlines, which directly harms the Israeli public. It also reduces the local flight supply and leaves Israel vulnerable to dependence on foreign airlines, who will then sharply increase prices. Oz Berlowitz, CEO of Arkia, said in an interview on Army Radio Sunday that Wizz should be required to pay high security costs like Israeli carriers. The main Israeli labour union also expressed concerns about the plan.
-
After oil exports were halted, Kazakhstan told Ukraine to stop attacking the CPC terminal.
After a drone attack that severely damaged the loading infrastructure and halted oil exports, Kazakhstan asked Ukraine to stop attacking its Black Sea terminal, which is used by the Caspian Pipeline Consortium. This terminal handles more than 1 percent of all global oil. CPC, which has shareholders from Russia, Kazakhstan and the United States, announced that it had stopped operations after an attack by a Ukrainian drone on a mooring in its Russian terminal at the Black Sea caused significant damage. In an effort to undermine the Russian war economy, Ukraine launched a wave of attacks this year on Russia's crude oil terminals and oil refineries. The foreign ministry of Kazakhstan said that the drone attack was the third on a facility it described as "exclusively civilian whose operation is protected by international law norms." A THREAT TO CRITICAL INFRRASTRUCTURE The ministry stated that Kazakhstan "expressed its protest at yet another deliberate attack against the critical infrastructures of the international Caspian Pipeline Consortium on the waters of Port of Novorossiysk." We consider this incident to be a serious breach of bilateral relations between the Republic of Kazakhstan, Ukraine and the Ukraine. Therefore, we expect that the Ukrainian side will take appropriate measures to avoid similar incidents in future. Ukraine has not yet commented. CPC is responsible for about 80% oil exports by OPEC+-member Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan exported approximately 68,6 million tonnes of oil in the past year. The terminal in Novorossiysk receives crude oil from the Tengiz and Karachaganak fields of Kazakhstan. CPC's primary suppliers are the fields of Kazakhstan, but it also collects oil from Russian producers. TANKERS REMOVED FROM CPC WATER AREAS CPC's 1,500 km pipeline (about 930 miles) includes Russian, KazMunayGas's state-owned KazMunayGas and Chevron, Russia's Lukoil, and ExxonMobil units as shareholders. CPC announced on Saturday that an attack by a naval drone on their terminal on November 29 had "significantly" damaged Single-Point Mooring 2 - which is essentially a buoy connected to oil tankers for loading. CPC stated that "Further operation at Single Point Mooring 2 was not possible." "Loading and other operations have been stopped, (and) tanks were removed from the CPC's water area." CPC: "We consider that the attack against the CPC is an assault on the interests CPC member nations." RUSSIA SAYS UKRAINE'S ATTACKS ARE TERRORISM Ukraine claims that its attacks on Russian infrastructure in the deepest parts of Russia are justified, as it is fighting to survive against what it calls an imperial war by Russia targeting Ukraine's energy sector before winter. Russian officials claim that the Ukrainian attacks are terrorist acts and that European powers have now entered a hybrid conflict against Russia. This includes Kyiv using Western intelligence agencies in order to target infrastructure deep within Russia. (Reporting and editing by William Mallard, David Holmes, and Guy Faulconbridge)
-
After a week of protests, operations at Australia's coal port will resume on Monday.
The Port of Newcastle, Australia's largest coal export port, will resume its operations on Monday after protesters against climate change disrupted shipping for the second day in a row on Sunday. The latest protest was organized by the climate activist group Rising Tide. They claimed that hundreds of activists violated an exclusion zone on Sunday, when they paddled their kayaks in the shipping lane at Newcastle Harbour. The port is located 170 km north of the state capital of New South Wales, Sydney. It is the largest bulk-shipping port on the east of Australia. Climate change is an issue that divides the nation. Port of Newcastle spokesperson stated late Sunday that "Vessel operations will resume tomorrow, as scheduled," after general cargo movement, including alumina bound to Australia's biggest aluminium smelter Tomago were aborted because of the protest. Rising Tide reported that more than 100 people were arrested at the protest on Sunday. The police did not confirm the number immediately, but in a previous statement they said that 21 people had been arrested at the protest and charged with "alleged maritime-related offenses". Greenpeace Australia Pacific reported that three of its activists had climbed on a coal vessel near the port and stopped it from operating as part of a peaceful demonstration. Greenpeace Australia Pacific's head of climate change and energy, Joe Rafalowicz, said in a press release that "Greenpeace is taking action this weekend, along with Rising Tide, and thousands of ordinary people." A protest in Newcastle on Saturday forced a ship arriving to return and the police arrested 11 people. Last year, a similar multi-day action on climate change was held. 170 protesters arrested. Australia has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.
-
Australia Climate Change Protest disrupts Shipping at Coal Port, 21 Arrest
The Port of Newcastle was disrupted by a climate-change demonstration off Australia's East Coast on Sunday, resulting in 21 arrests. This is the second protest to occur within two days. The climate activist group Rising Tide claimed responsibility for the act, saying that hundreds of activists paddled in kayaks into the shipping lanes of Newcastle Harbour at local time on Sunday. The port is located 170 km north of Sydney, the capital of the state. It is Australia's largest bulk shipping port. Climate change is an issue that divides the nation. Port of Newcastle spokesperson: "General cargo movement is now being aborted because of the protester disruption." Alumina bound for Australia’s largest aluminum smelter Tomago was "now being disrupted." The spokesperson stated that a coal ship had been denied entry into the port earlier due to safety concerns because of protesters on the water. In a press release, the police said that at Sunday's protest 21 people had been arrested and charged with "alleged maritime-related offenses". Greenpeace Australia Pacific reported that three of its activists had climbed on a coal vessel near the port and stopped it from operating as part of a "peaceful demonstration". Greenpeace Australia Pacific's head of climate change and energy, Joe Rafalowicz, said in a press release that "Greenpeace is taking action this weekend, along with Rising Tide, and thousands of ordinary people." A protest in Newcastle on Saturday forced a ship arriving to return and the police arrested 11 people. Last year, a similar multi-day action on climate change was held in which 170 people were arrested. Australia has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.
-
Moldova claims that Russian drones have again entered its airspace, posing a threat to aviation.
The Moldovan authorities reported on Saturday that Russian drones entered the country's skies, posing an aviation threat. This is the third incident of this kind in nine days. The president of Moldova, Maia Sandu has condemned the Russian war in Ukraine, and accused Moscow for trying to destabilise this ex-Soviet country, located between Ukraine and EU Member Romania. The latest incident occurred at the same time as a massive Russian attack against Kyiv and Ukrainian targets that killed three people and injured nearly 30 others. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the Ukrainian president, said that Russia launched 36 missiles and 600 drones. The interior ministry of Moldova said that it had identified the drones as Russians and they had flown above Moldovan territory. This led to the closure of Moldova's airspace. The report added that they later flew onto Ukrainian territory. The civil aviation authority ordered that the Moldovan airspace be closed from 22.43 until 23.53 (from 2043 to 2153 GMT). Sandu wrote on the X platform: "On their path to kill civilians Russian drones violated Moldovan's airspace again, forcing it temporary closure. We condemn these strikes and stand with Ukraine." Moldova, which had complained about a similar intrusion in November and earlier this week as well, has described the latest incident in the context the conflict in Ukraine. It also denounced the "illegal and danger actions" posing a risk to civil flights and the lives of people. Oleg Ozerov has been summoned repeatedly to the Foreign Ministry of Russia over these incidents. Ozerov said the incidents were meant to worsen already bad relations between Moscow and Chisinau. Since Sandu's first election in 2020, Moscow accuses Moldova of being behind unfriendly acts and stirring up anti-Russian feelings. (Reporting and writing by Alexander Tanas; editing by Alexander Smith, Diane Craft, and Ron Popeski)
-
Moldova claims that Russian drones have again entered its airspace, posing a threat to aviation.
The Moldovan authorities reported on Saturday that Russian drones entered the country's skies, posing an aviation threat. This is the third incident of this kind in nine days. The president of Moldova, Maia Sandu has condemned the Russian war in Ukraine, and accused Moscow for trying to destabilize the ex-Soviet country, located between Ukraine and EU Member Romania. The interior ministry of Moldova said that it had identified the drones as Russians and they had flown above Moldovan territory. This led to the closure of Moldova's airspace. The report added that they later flew onto Ukrainian territory. The civil aviation authority ordered that the Moldovan airspace be closed from 22.43 until 23.53 (from 2043 to 2153 GMT). Moldova, which had complained about a similar intrusion in November and earlier this week as well, has described the latest incident in the context the conflict in Ukraine. It also denounced the "illegal and danger actions" posing a risk to civil flights and the lives of people. Oleg Ozerov has been summoned repeatedly to the Foreign Ministry of Russia over these incidents. Ozerov questioned this week whether the drones displayed outside the ministry were involved in any intrusion. He suggested that the incidents were meant to worsen the already bad relations between Moscow and Chisinau. Since Sandu's first election in 2020, Moldovan relations with Russia are under strain. Moscow accuses it of being behind unfriendly acts and stirring up anti-Russian feelings. The Moldovan parliament ordered this week the closure of an Russian cultural center in Chisinau. They said it could be used to promote narratives that pose a threat to national safety. (Reporting and writing by Alexander Tanas; editing by Alexander Smith).
-
Trump says the airspace above Venezuela and around it should be closed
The U.S. president Donald Trump stated on Saturday that airspace surrounding Venezuela and above it should be "closed completely", but did not provide any further details. Washington is increasing pressure on President Nicolas Maduro’s government. Trump stated in a Truth Social posting that "All Airlines, Pilots, Drunk Dealers, and Traffickers, Please consider the entire airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed." Venezuela's Communications Ministry, which is responsible for all government press inquiries, didn't immediately respond to a comment request on Trump's tweet. The U.S. Defense Department didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment. U.S. attacks against alleged drugs boats in the Caribbean are ongoing for months. A U.S. buildup of military in the area is also underway. Trump has authorized covert CIA missions in Venezuela. The President said to military members that "very soon" the U.S. will begin land operations in order to stop suspected Venezuelan drugs traffickers. The U.S. Aviation regulator warned major airlines last week of a potentially hazardous situation when flying over Venezuela because of the "worsening situation in security and increased military activity around or within" the South American nation. Venezuela revoked the operating rights of six major international carriers that had suspended flights after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration warned. The Trump administration accused Maduro, who has denied the charge, of being involved in drug trafficking. Maduro has been in power since 2013 and has stated that Trump wants to remove him. He also said that Venezuelans and the military would resist such an attempt. The U.S. military in the region has focused so far on counter-narcotics, despite the fact that the firepower assembled far exceeds what is needed for them. Since September, they have conducted at least 21 attacks on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean or Pacific region. At least 83 people were killed. Reporting by Mrinmay dey in Bengaluru and Lucia Mutikani, Washington, and Idrees Al; editing by Kirby Donovan and Sergio Non, and Alexander Smith
-
The death toll from Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has risen to 153
Officials said that at least 153 people were killed and 191 missing in Sri Lanka due to landslides, flooding and Cyclone Ditwah. More than half a milllion people are affected across the country. The Disaster Management Centre reported that more than 78,000 people were moved into nearly 800 centres of relief, most of which are located in schools. Thousands of army, navy and police personnel are clearing roads, distributing food and moving families trapped in the mud to safety. The worst floods in a decade Mallika Kumari's home, which was submerged to the roof Friday morning, is among those who sought refuge in relief centers. She packed her three children and her husband into a rented truck, then spent the night on the roadside. Kumari, her 554 neighbors, and the Kelani River are located in Malwana in Colombo's 20 km (12 mile) distance. They face the worst floods in the last decade. Rescue boats transport stranded family members, including Kumari who wanted to retrieve her children's clothing and schoolbooks from her home. "I heard the flood warnings on television, but we didn't expect the river to overflow that quickly. "We just ran out of the home without anything," Kumari said. "We haven’t even eaten breakfast." My two sons are sick. I need to buy them medicine. I have brought some garbage bags to collect the clothes. In her hurry, Kumari forgot to bring her cat with her. A navy boat later found it and brought it back on dry land. Homes Under Water and Without Power Authorities said that the flooding in Malwana, and other low-lying parts of Colombo left many homes underwater and without electricity. Meteorological authorities forecast rain to continue over the weekend. This has sparked fears about further flooding in areas already affected by flooding. Some residents chose to stay in the upper floors, protecting their possessions. The flooding has caused local businesses such as pharmacies, fabric shops, and supermarkets to be overwhelmed, causing financial losses for shop owners who worry about the long-term recovery. Volunteers prepared rice parcels containing chicken curry and dhal for flood victims at the Dalugala Thakiya Mosque. They hoped to increase their capacity by Sunday. Risham Ahmad, an organizer of the meals, said that people working daily jobs are having difficulty finding work and have low savings. They are concerned about how they will put their lives back together.
EIA reports record US natural gas exports into Mexico
The U.S. Energy Information Administration reported on Monday that U.S. natural-gas pipeline exports to Mexico in May 2025 averaged 7.5 billion cubic feet per day (bcfd), the highest monthly volume ever recorded, as Mexico's natural-gas demand increases.
The EIA reported that the annual average of U.S. natural-gas pipeline exports to Mexico in 2024 was 6.4 bcfd, which is a 25% rise compared to 2019 and also the highest ever recorded in data dating back as far as 1975.
The EIA reported that "Total consumption in Mexico has increased from 7,7 bcfd in 2019-2024 to 8,6 bcfd in the same period. Most of the growth is concentrated in the electric power sector in Mexico." It also noted that natural gas enters Mexico through four main corridors: South Texas, West Texas Arizona and California.
The combined capacity of these four export corridors is approximately 14.8 billion cubic feet per day (bcfd) with an approximate utilization of 43% by 2024.
The EIA reported that in 2024, pipelines exports from West Texas and South Texas would account for 91% (or more) of U.S. pipeline exports to Mexico.
This report stated that there are many factors that limit the exports of gas, the main ones being the limited capacity for storage and the lack of pipeline infrastructure in Mexico. It also noted that the recent commissionings of connecting pipelines throughout central and southwest Mexico have helped to facilitate this record-breaking rise.
(source: Reuters)