Latest News

US Army Corps will narrow down list of emergency energy projects next week

A U.S. Army Corps of Engineers official said that the Army Corps of Engineers would complete its revised list of projects for energy under President Donald Trump’s declaration of an energy emergency as soon as next Monday.

The Army Corps is a federal engineering agency with the authority to approve projects that involve wetlands and waterways. In February, the Army Corps posted a list of over 600 projects in need of faster environmental approvals. However, the list was quickly removed from the website so the agency could have more time to review the projects.

Original list included several high-profile projects, including Enbridge's Line 5 oil pipe tunnel replacement beneath Lake Michigan, as well as natural gas power stations and LNG export terminals proposed jointly by Cheniere and Venture Global. It also contained several possible errors, such as some projects which had already been completed or canceled.

Shane McCoy said on Monday that the head of regulatory affairs at the Detroit office of the Corps, Shane McCoy will be receiving revised lists by the 41 subdistricts heads before Friday. The Army Corps headquarters could receive the list compiled next week.

The Army Corps of Engineers Headquarters did not comment immediately.

Trump ordered the Army Corps in January to issue permits for the filling of wetland areas and the dredging of waterways. This was part of his emergency energy declaration of January 20, which was intended to expand U.S. production of energy to meet the projected demand.

Trump also used emergency powers last week to boost the production of vital minerals that are used throughout the economy, as part of an overall effort to counter China's control over the sector.

Six Michigan tribes wrote the Army Corps on Monday to withdraw as cooperating agencies for the review of Enbridge's pipeline tunnel through Straits of Mackinac. They said they expected that the project would still be approved despite their input.

David Gover is a senior attorney at the Native American Rights Fund. He said, "All the tribes withdrew as cooperating agencies because the process was flawed. We don't want our flawed process to be seen by others as being supported."

Enbridge spokesperson Gina Sutherland stated that the Line 5 tunnel was "critical energy infrastructure", and the company is committed to including the tribes in the Project. (Reporting and editing by Rod Nickel; Additional reporting by Amanda Stephenson, Calgary)

(source: Reuters)