Latest News

Sisi estimates that Egypt Suez Canal monthly revenues are lost at $800 Million.

Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, Egypt's president, said that monthly revenue losses from the Suez Canal reached $800 million because of "the regional situation", as Yemen Houthis are attacking vessels in Red Sea.

Since November 2023, the Houthis, backed by Iran, have been attacking vessels in the Red Sea region in support of Palestinians living in Gaza, during the conflict with Israel. This has disrupted global shipping, forcing ships to bypass the Suez Canal, and reroute their trade around Africa.

Sisi, the Egyptian president at the time, said that the Houthis were not mentioned in the statement but the disruption to Egypt's Suez Canal revenue in 2024 would cost it around $7 billion.

In response to the deadly U.S. airstrikes on Yemen, which killed at least 53 civilians on Saturday in the largest U.S. military campaign in the Middle East ever since President Donald Trump assumed office in January, the Yemeni group has recently pledged to resume attacks on U.S. ships in the Red Sea.

Last week, they said that if Israel didn't lift its blockade on aid entering Gaza, they would begin attacking Israeli ships as soon as the Red Sea.

(source: Reuters)