Latest News

Irish police claim that deadly motorway stunts are being staged to get'social media shares'

Ireland's chief of police has warned that some young people drive the wrong way on motorways "for social media likes" after two recent?head-on collisions?near Dublin. Justin Kelly, the Irish police chief, issued the warning after five male teens died in an early Sunday morning crash, injuring a child and three women in another vehicle who were traveling to Dublin Airport. Police said the teenagers were traveling south on a northbound motorway to the southwest of Dublin. Kelly, in a press release about the incident, said that this reckless behavior was sometimes done for social media likes.

The Garda Representation Association, which represents the police officers, has stated that it is a standard practice not to chase a car on the wrong side.

John Joe O'Connell?, the association's vice-president, told RTE radio on Monday that men and teenage boys were competing by "engaging in pursuits and going 'the wrong way' down a motorway or dual carriageway, and filming this for likes".

Police said that nine people were injured?earlier this year when eight youths drove the wrong direction on Dublin's main outer ring road. (Writing and editing by Helen Popper; Conor Humphries)

(source: Reuters)