Latest News

Separatist militants claim responsibility for the explosion that killed at least 24 people in a Pakistani train

Officials said that a bomb explosion hit a shuttle train carrying Pakistani security staff and their families on Sunday in the southwest province of Balochistan. This was 'the latest major attack by separatist militants.

According to three provincial officials and security officers who spoke under the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, the explosion caused at least 24 deaths and 70 injuries.

At least 24 people were killed and more than 70 injured in this attack. It was part of a?series? of major attacks on security forces, infrastructure and trains in the mineral rich province bordering Iran and?Afghanistan. Pakistan launched counterinsurgency efforts after the most violent violence for years.

Separatist militant group, Baloch Liberation Army, or BLA, claimed in a media statement that they carried out the attack, and called it a suicide explosion. Could not independently verify this claim.

In a statement, Pakistan's Railways Ministry said that the shuttle train was transporting passengers from Quetta’s cantonment area to connect with the long-distance Jaffar Express train when the explosion struck near a rail track in the provincial capitol.

The ministry reported that the explosion caused the engine to be derailed and three coaches to overturn, and two coaches were flipped. It added that the area had been cordoned off by security forces and that rescue operations were underway.

An official in the security field said that an explosive-laden vehicle struck one of the train's bogies, which was located in a residential neighborhood. Some of those who died were residents from a nearby apartment complex.

Images of the scene show burnt out vehicles, residential?buildings damaged, and twisted metal, debris, and debris scattered along the railway track. Smoke is rising from the wreckage.

Shehbaz?Sharif, the Prime Minister of Pakistan, condemned a bomb blast he described as "heinous" on social media site X. He sent condolences to the families of the victims and said that the nation stood by the people in?Balochistan.

BLA militants hijacked a Jaffar express train in March 2025 and took hundreds of hostages before a day-long standoff was ended by armed forces. The military said that 21 hostages were killed, along with four soldiers and all 33 attackers.

In a 40-hour raid, Pakistani forces have killed 145 militants after coordinated attacks in Balochistan resulted in the deaths of nearly 50 people, according to provincial officials.

(source: Reuters)