Latest News

The truce agreement between Ukraine and Russia has been a disaster within hours

Ukraine and Russia both accused each other on Wednesday of violating a truce negotiated by the United States on energy strikes, while the European Union stated that it would not accept the conditions set forth by Russia in a planned ceasefire at the Black Sea.

On Tuesday, the United States and Russia announced separate agreements to pause their attacks in the Black Sea as well as against each other's targets for energy. However, the rhetoric coming from Moscow and Kyiv indicated that they were still far apart.

Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the president of Ukraine, stated that the U.S. told Kyiv that the agreements were in effect as soon as the announcements were made. The Kremlin, however, said that the Black Sea Agreement would not come into force until the sanctioned Russian bank is reconnected with the international payment system. Europe stated that this would not be possible until Russia withdraws from Ukraine.

The Kremlin claims that it has been implementing a ceasefire on attacks against energy since March 18; however, a senior Ukrainian official stated that Russia had already attacked eight Ukrainian energy installations since this date.

The agreements on paper are a tangible move towards a ceasefire following the Russian invasion in February 2022, which unleashed the largest conflict in Europe since World War Two, which rages along a 1,000 km (600 mile) frontline.

Donald Trump wants peace quickly, so the United States published on Tuesday two joint statements outlining the agreements with Moscow and Kyiv. However, neither document provided a timeline for the implementation of the agreements.

Overnight, Russia claimed to have shot down nine drones including two that were flying over the Black Sea. The Russian government also claimed that Ukraine had attempted to attack a Russian-occupied gas storage facility and energy infrastructures in the Kursk and Bryansk region of Russia. Ukraine denied that it had conducted such strikes.

Ukraine's military reported that 117 Russian drone strikes occurred overnight. Local officials reported that the city of Kryvyi RIh was hit by its biggest drone attack yet.

Zelenskiy urged the United States (US) to sanction Moscow further, saying that it was not "pursuing a real peace" following the latest Russian drone attack.

Zelenskiy, writing on X, said that "launching such large-scale strikes after ceasefire talks is a clear message to the entire world that Moscow will not pursue a real peace."

Actions not words

Diplomats told us that the majority of restrictions and sanctions imposed by the European Union are the ones the Kremlin wants lifted before the truce at the Black Sea comes into force.

The EU has said that it is not targeting the trade of food, grains or fertilisers and it made it clear that it will not change its sanctions as long as Russian forces remain in Ukraine.

The EU executive commission spokesperson said that "the end of Russia's unprovoked, unjustified aggression against Ukraine and the unconditional withdrawal of Russian military forces on the entire Ukrainian territory would be the main condition for amending or lifting sanctions."

Officials said that European nations attempting to create security arrangements with Ukraine are moving away from sending troops and instead looking for alternative ways to protect Ukraine's skies and seas, and its borders, as they face logistical and political constraints.

Un senior European official in defence said that everything would depend on the prospects of a ceasefire. He added that he wasn't optimistic.

Since many months, Russian drones have regularly attacked Ukrainian cities at night. Power outages have also been a feature of life in Ukrainian cities as missiles have hit the power grid. However, Russian attacks on gas facilities have increased more recently. Kyiv used drones against Russian oil installations to strike back.

Zelenskiy stated: "Everyone affected must receive assistance. There must be strong pressure from all over the world to Russia, including more sanctions and pressure from the United States.

In the Ukrainian statements, it was not stated that Russia has hit energy infrastructure in its latest attack.

Oleksandr Vikul, the head of military administration, said that at least 15 explosions occurred in Zelenskiy’s hometown, Kryvyi Rih, overnight, during a Russian aerial attack. However, no one was injured or killed.

He said, "This is apparently how the occupiers want peace."

The governor reported that seven Russian drones had been shot down in the region of Mykolaiv. This southern region has a port which provides access to Black Sea, and it's been closed ever since Russia invaded.

The local governor of Okhtyrka, in the border area of Sumy, said that Russian drones had damaged two apartment blocks, an administrative structure, and businesses.

The reports of the attacks from both sides could not be independently verified. Reporting by Anastasiia and Pavel Polityuk, in Kyiv; Yuliia and Pavel Dysa, in Gdansk; Lidia Kelly, in Melbourne; and Jan Strupcewski, Julia Payne, and Jan Strupcewski, in Brussels; Writing and editing by Tom Balmforth, Philippa Fletcher, and Ros Russell.

(source: Reuters)