Latest News

The Kremlin maintains that the Russian moratorium on Ukrainian attacks on energy remains in place, despite Kyiv’s actions

The Kremlin announced on Monday that the Russian moratorium on attacking energy infrastructure in Ukraine was still in effect despite reports of Ukrainian attacks against Russian energy infrastructure targets.

Dmitry Peskov, spokesman for the Kremlin, told reporters that Russia is monitoring the situation. The United States can do the same thing and reach its own conclusions.

In a phone call on Tuesday, last week, the Russian president Vladimir Putin and his U.S. counter-part Donald Trump agreed to observe a 30 day ceasefire on Ukrainian targets for energy.

Peskov replied that "there haven't been any other orders given by the president" when asked whether Russia planned to continue its moratorium.

"Our armed services are following the orders of the supreme commanding officer, but we are also monitoring the situation closely." "Our American interlocutors can also monitor the situation, and draw the right conclusions."

Kyiv accused Russia almost immediately of violating its moratorium and said that it would have to sign an official document to stop its own attacks. This has not yet happened.

The regional administration reported that firefighters worked for five days to try and put out the fire at a Krasnodar oil depot, which was ignited by a drone strike last week, which the authorities blamed Ukraine. (Reporting and editing by Andrew Osborn.)

(source: Reuters)