Latest News
-
Senator calls on US to finalize regulations banning airline family seating fees
Democratic Senator Ed Markey on Saturday urged the U.S. Transportation Department to finalize rules that would prevent airlines from charging fees for seating families with young children together on a flight, if adjacent seats were available at time of booking. In August 2024, the DOT issued regulations under?former U.S. president Joe Biden after Congress ordered that it write regulations. Markey asked Transportation secretary Sean Duffy for action. Markey noted that the DOT had been unable to act for more than 18 months on this proposal, despite the fact that it was supported by JD Vance (now vice president), a former senator who has now joined the DOT. "Airlines shouldn't be able to force parents to decide between paying more or being separated from their children." Duffy's spokesperson did not comment immediately. Many major airlines have pledged to guarantee family seating at no additional charge. The DOT previously stated that all other large domestic airlines have policies that try to seat families together, but they do not 'guarantee' it. Airlines for America (which represents American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines Southwest Airlines and others) did not comment immediately. In 2024, the proposal will prohibit airlines from charging fees for assigning seats to children who sit next to parents on U.S. flight. If it is not possible to offer adjacent seating to multiple children, the airlines will be required to place them in an aisle seat, behind or in front of a parent. If adjacent family seats are not available, the DOT will?require free rebooking or refunds for passengers who choose to skip that flight. If airlines did not comply, they could be subject to civil penalties. Markey cited a variety of other actions taken by DOT in order to reverse Biden's?aviation consumers?rules. In January, DOT announced that it would review its guidance in order to reduce the emphasis on imposing civil penalties against airlines that violate consumer protection laws and?to eliminate Biden's policies that emphasized enforcement. USDOT reversed?some penalties on airlines under the Biden administration in December. This included waiving $11 million from a fine that was imposed by Southwest as part of a $140-million settlement for?operational issues that left more than 2,000,000?passengers stranded in 2022. In November, the DOT retracted a proposal that was issued under Biden and sought to force airlines to compensate passengers in cash when they are responsible for U.S. flights being disrupted. (Reporting and Editing by Franklin Paul, Aurora Ellis and David Shepardson)
-
The EU should phase out the low-value package tax rules, say logistics giants
DHL, FedEx, and UPS called on 'European Union Finance Ministers' to implement new?duty regulations on?low value packages? on Friday. They warned of supply chain bottlenecks, and the impact this would have on some medical supplies. These rules are part of an effort to crackdown on cheap Chinese imports, such as those from online retailers Shein or Temu. In a letter dated 22 May, seen by the, three companies said the EU should implement a EUR3 flat rate duty on July 1 but defer "more complicated and unresolved" elements until they were?legally sure and 'operationally viable. The new data requirements, along with other changes mandated by the new rules, resulted in an amount of complexity which could not realistically be implemented before the deadline of July 1. In a letter, Mike Parra, CEO DHL Express Europe and Wouter Roels president of FedEx Europe and Daniel Carrera president of UPS EMEA said that they saw a "real" risk of shipments getting held up at EU border "without a stable and working legal framework". They wrote: "Such disruptions could affect the availability of medical supplies, delay industrial production and create bottlenecks across European supply chains. All?risks which are especially significant in today's geopolitical environment." (Reporting and writing by Tom Sims; Editing by Louise Heavens, Alexander Smith, and Louise Heavens)
-
CMA CGM profits drop as Iran War weighs on shipping
CMA CGM, France's largest shipping company, posted a lower core profit for the first quarter on Friday as weaker markets offset a growth in logistics. The outlook remains cautious due to trade uncertainty and the Iran War. CMA CGM, behind the Mediterranean Shipping Company in Switzerland (MSC) as well as Denmark's Maersk, is the third largest container shipping company worldwide. The group's earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA), which were $3.09 billion in the previous year, fell to $2.11billion, while its net income, attributable to it, plummeted to $250m from $1.12billion. Total revenue for the?first quarter was $13.23 billion, down from $13.26. Shipping revenue fell 8.5% to $8.02 billion, while logistics revenue grew 6.6% to $4.56 bn. The Iran War has stranded hundreds of vessels, increased fuel and insurance prices, and forced carriers and shippers to use alternative routes and adjust their networks. Rodolphe Saade, Chairman and CEO of CMA CGM, said in a statement that the Group had a resilient performance during the first quarter 2026. This was attributed to the strength of the Group's shipping activities and its diversification. This month, a CMA CGM container vessel was attacked while it was transiting the Strait of Hormuz, causing injuries to crew members and damage to the vessel. Another vessel left the Gulf. CMA CGM stated that it had set up alternative routes to ensure cargo could continue to move to and from Gulf Countries despite the restrictions. It remained cautious, however, as the Iran 'war, oil prices and freight rates, and trade uncertainty all weighed heavily on its visibility. (Reporting and editing by Louise Heavens, Alexander Smith and Zakarya Méliani)
-
Swiss sanctions against Russia and Belarus are in line with EU actions
The Swiss government announced on Friday that it had expanded its sanctions against Russia and Belarus, adopting portions of the latest package of measures from the European Union in response to Moscow's conflict in Ukraine. The Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA)?said that the new listings will take effect at 11 p.m. on May 22. Further 115 individuals and companies will be subject to asset freezing and a 'ban' on making funds available. Sanctioned individuals are also barred from entering Switzerland or transiting through it. The department stated that the newly listed targets included people and 'entities connected to Russia's energy and military-industrial complex, as well as 'individuals involved in the deportation and indoctrination Ukrainian children. It said that '60 more companies, some of which are based in a third country, will be subject to tighter export controls, with the aim of blocking the supply of 'critical goods for Russia’s military industry.
-
Carney emphasizes importance of Alberta following separation vote announcement
The Prime Minister, Mark 'Carney, stressed the importance of?Alberta to Canada on Friday. This comes a day after this oil-rich province held a non-binding vote on whether or not its residents wanted to stay in Canada. Carney's largely symbolic move could be a major challenge for him, as he is trying to promote national unity in the face of U.S. Tariffs and Donald Trump's talk about annexation. Carney told reporters that "Canada is one of the best countries in the world, but we can do better. We're working together with Alberta to make it better." "We are renovating the nation as we go." Carney said that Alberta's central position is crucial. He did not mention the referendum announcement. The'separation' advocates are upset with Justin Trudeau's environmental policies, which they say has undermined the oil and gas industries of the province. Carney?took over in March 2025 and?then rolled back a number of Trudeau?s green measures. (Reporting and editing by David Ljunggren, Deepa Babington and Promit Mukherjee)
-
State media reports that Syria has signed a deal with CMA CGM for the operation of two dry ports.
Syria's General Authority for Borders and Customs (GABC) has signed an agreement with French shipping and logistics group CMA CGM to operate two dry ports in the free zones around Damascus. The agreement covers the management and operations of the dry ports in support of logistics and trade. The deal coincided with the launch a trial freight rail linking Syria's main maritime access port,?Latakia, to Adra, after a 14-year stop due to the Syrian Civil War. CMA?CGM did not immediately respond to a request for comment. This agreement is a follow-up to a separate contract signed by CMA CGM in May 2025, under which the company secured a 30-year deal for modernising and operating Latakia Port. Rodolphe Saade is a Franco-Lebanese with Syrian roots. He has family ties in Syria. The European 'Union' restored full application to its 1977 'cooperation agreement' with Syria on May 11, ending a partial ban imposed in 2011, due to human rights infringements under Bashar al Assad. This move, which follows Assad’s?fall? in December 2024 as well as the lifting of the majority of EU economic'sanctions? in 2025 is intended to support Syria's 'economic recovery' and signal renewed EU involvement with the country. (Reporting and editing by Louise Heavens, Sybille De La Hamaide and Zakarya Melani)
-
Sources say that Trafigura will withdraw LME copper stocks ahead of the US tariff ruling
Two industry sources have confirmed that Trafigura, the commodity trader, plans to remove large amounts of copper from London Metal Exchange's warehouses in New Orleans. They cited a U.S. Tariff decision expected late in June. Trafigura, a Swiss company, declined to comment. The traders have moved large volumes of copper into the United States to prepare for possible import taxes that could increase shipping costs. The threat of import levies has increased the value for existing copper stocks, as holding copper in the United States allows customers to lock in supplies at pre-tariff rates. After a review, the United States will likely decide by late-June whether to impose tariffs on copper metal imports. U.S. US IMPOSED A 50% TARIFF ON COPPER LAST SEASON. This was part of a larger levy imposed on semi-finished products made from copper. Copper stored in LME-registered warehousing in the United States is usually kept in free trade zones or bonded areas, which means it hasn't entered the U.S. formally and isn't subject to import duties unless brought into the domestic market. LME data shows that more than 30,000 tons of copper was cancelled or marked for delivery in New Orleans, Louisiana on Thursday. LME data doesn't identify the companies responsible for inventory movement, but two sources who refused to be named said that the company was Trafigura. The total cancellations for Thursday exceeded 50,000 tons. The majority of the remaining 22,000 tons were stored in LME warehouses located in Kaohsiung. The total amount of cancelled LME copper stock is 391,900 tonnes, or nearly 30%. Total stock of 'copper' in approved warehouses by Comex The 574,864 metric tonnes is an increase of more than 550% from the February 2018 order by President Donald Trump to conduct a Section 232 Investigation, a process that is designed to 'determine if a product enters the U.S. In sufficient quantities, the product could threaten national security. Since February last year, traders are withdrawing copper from LME storages Shanghai Futures Exchange Industry sources say that the best way to export to the United States is to use a container. (Reporting and editing by Barbara Lewis; Additional reporting by Eric Onstad, Pratima Deai, and Polina.
-
Ireland hopes to pass a law lifting Dublin Airport's cap by the summer
Transport Minister said that the Irish government will enact legislation by mid-July lifting a limit on passenger numbers at Dublin Airport. This has been criticized by European and U.S. carriers. The government is rushing to lift the cap of 32 million passengers per year, which has been suspended in anticipation of a ruling from the European Court. Last year, the airport exceeded its limit by four million passengers. Darragh O'Brien, Ireland's Transport, Energy and Climate Minister, said in a?interview that he hoped to have the legislation passed by the Dail (lower chamber of parliament) and Seanad, the upper house, before the summer recess (mid-July). "If not then, early September will be the deadline," he said. O'Brien only previously committed to passing the legislation by?this end. Planners in 2007 capped the number of passengers who could use Ireland's main international airport at 32 million, in part to avoid local traffic congestion. Local residents are in favor of limiting the number of passengers at the airport. The airport carries 80% or more the air traffic in the country. Environmental groups warn that its removal will weaken the oversight of an industry with high emissions. Irish airline chiefs have opposed the measure, claiming it will harm the economy of the country. U.S. Airlines have also opposed this cap. Their representative body, as well as Irish carriers, warned that if it is not removed quickly the U.S. Government could take retaliation and restrict transatlantic flight from Dublin. Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's boss, said in response to O'Brien's schedule that the timetable would eliminate the threat that hung over the industry of being forced by regulators to reduce their capacity to meet the cap next summer. He repeated his calls for O'Brien move faster. He said that if the Americans don't pass the bill by the end June, there was a good chance they would take action. O'Brien stated that the U.S. Government was satisfied with his timeline. European airlines have warned that they may face jet fuel shortages in the coming weeks due to supply disruptions caused by the U.S./Israeli war against Iran. O'Brien stated that Ireland does not face any immediate supply shortages and the analysis of the government predicts no shortages in fuel for the remainder of the year. (Reporting and editing by Kate Abnett, Padraic Halpin and Louise Heavens).
Five energy market trends in 2026: Bousso
The energy markets are in a depressed mood for 2026, as geopolitical uncertainties cloud the outlook. In addition, signs of a growing oil and gas supply threaten to lower prices.
The oil and gas industry had a crazy year in 2018. Highlights included the 12-day Israel/Iran conflict in June, the trade wars of Donald Trump, the intensified targeting by Russia of energy infrastructure as part of its war on Ukraine, OPEC’s sometimes perplexing decisions regarding production, and the recent threatened U.S. ban of Venezuela.
What's next for the upcoming year? Here are five energy trends that will likely shape the landscape by 2026.
The Year of the Glut?
Fears of a significant oversupply caused crude oil prices to fall nearly 20% by 2025, from $60 per barrel to around $60.
The global oil production has risen over the last year. The U.S., the world's largest oil producer, increased production as did Canada, Brazil and the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, including Russia.
According to the International Energy Agency, supply is expected to exceed demand by 3.85 million barrels a day (bpd) in 2026. This is equivalent to around 4% global demand.
OPEC analysts, however, see a largely balancing market in the coming year. This is one of sharpest forecast differences seen in decades. China's massive crude stockpiling has exacerbated the uncertainty about supply-demand. These volumes are not well known by traders, but they are believed to be large, at around 500,000 bpd.
The IEA is more likely to prove correct in the end. Kpler data shows that oil transported or stored on tankers reached its highest level in the last few weeks since April 2020 when consumption plummeted due to COVID-19 locksdowns. These elevated seaborne inventories suggest that onshore stocks may start to fill soon, adding further downwards pressure on prices.
The LNG Wave is coming
The demand for liquefied gas has increased in recent years. This is because Europe wants to replace the large volumes of Russian pipeline natural gas that it imported prior to Moscow's invasion in Ukraine in 2022.
As global export capacity increases, the boom may no longer be as profitable for LNG producers and traders.
According to the IEA's estimates, between?2025- 2030, the new LNG export capability is expected to increase by 300 billion cubic meters per year. This represents a 50% increase, and around 45% of this capacity will come from the U.S.
Over the next few years, supply is expected to exceed demand growth. This will squeeze margins for producers and offer some relief to consumers in Europe and Asia. The rising price of natural gas in the United States is another problem for producers.
Still, there are some reasons for optimism among producers. LNG prices will continue to fall in 2026, and beyond. This power source, which is more competitive than other fuels like oil and coal as they become cheaper, could boost demand.
DIESEL PERFORMANCE CONTINUES
The diesel profit margins rose this year. They gained momentum in the last half-year as the refined product market was faced with supply constraints, even though the world was increasingly awash in crude oil.
According to LSEG, the benchmark European diesel refining profit margins increased 30% in 2025 compared to a 20% decline in Brent crude in 2025. This is largely because of a series of Ukrainian drone strikes on Russian refineries, oil terminals and other oil facilities, which resulted in a drop in diesel exports by late 2025.
The trend is expected continue until 2026 as there are relatively few new refinery capacities coming on line. The calculus would be altered if there was a peace agreement in Ukraine, but it is likely to offer only limited relief.
BIG OIL EXPECTS BRIGHTER FURTURE Oil and Gas companies are preparing for strong headwinds by 2026. Chevron, TotalEnergies and Exxon Mobil have all announced cost reductions of around 10% for the next year. The oil majors are also quite optimistic about the long-term prospects. The oil majors are investing more in exploration and new projects that will be online in this decade or early 2030s. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other major Middle East oil producers are also preparing for a new upstream investment era.
The long-term bullishness could lead Western oil majors – most of whom have solid balance sheets with?relatively little debt, BP being the notable exception – to take advantage of the anticipated 2026 downturn in order to buy up struggling competitors.
RENEWABLES Down But Not Out
The IEA lowered its forecast of renewable?power through 2030 in October by a fifth, or 248 Gigawatts. This was due to weaker prospects for the U.S. Solar is expected to account for 80% of this increase in global renewable capacity by 2030.
However, the demand for electricity will still grow by 4% annually by 2027. This is due to the power-hungry data centers and the electrification in general of economies.
The world's energy markets will be dominated by this tension in 2026, especially as solar, wind, and battery storage costs are expected to continue to fall.
Subscribe to my Power Up newsletter to receive my weekly column, plus additional energy insights and links trending stories in your mailbox every Monday and Thursday. Subscribe to my Power Up Newsletter here. You like this column? Open Interest (ROI) is your essential source for global commentary on financial markets. ROI provides data-driven, thought-provoking analysis. The markets are changing faster than ever. ROI can help you keep up. Follow ROI on LinkedIn, X.
(source: Reuters)