Latest News
-
Kremlin claims that Europe is hindering Trump’s peace efforts in Ukraine
The Kremlin claimed that European powers are hindering U.S. president Donald Trump's attempts to achieve peace in Ukraine. It also said that Russia will continue its operations in Ukraine until it sees real signs that Kyiv is ready for peace. Dmitry Peskov, Kremlin spokesperson, told reporters from Russian state-run media that the "European Party of War" continued to impede U.S. efforts and Russian efforts in Ukraine. Peskov stated, "We are prepared to solve the problem through diplomatic and political means." Peskov said, "We have not seen Kyiv reciprocating in this regard." We will continue our special military operation." After eight years of fighting between separatists backed by Russia and Ukrainian troops in the east of Ukraine, Russian President Vladimir Putin sent tens-of-thousands of troops into Ukraine in February 2022. According to the United States, more than 1.2 million people were killed or injured during the war. Russia controls just under one fifth (or a little less) of Ukraine. European powers claim that they don't believe Putin is interested in peace for Ukraine. Putin has said that he's willing to talk about peace, but that Russia won't give up any land it has seized in Ukraine. Russian Defence Minister Andrei Belousov On Friday, it was reported that the Russian Army had increased its pace of advance in Ukraine. It now controls 600-700 sq km (502 sq miles) per month as opposed to 300-400 sq km at the beginning of the year. Guy Faulconbridge (Reporting)
-
Sources: Belize bulk carrier damaged by blast in Black Sea near Ukraine Odesa
Two sources said on Sunday that a civilian bulk carrier, flying the flag for Belize, suffered minor damage when it struck an unidentified explosive device near the Ukrainian port of Chornomorsk. Chornomorsk, a major seaport of strategic importance in southern Odesa in Ukraine, is one of the three Ukrainian ports that operate in the maritime transport corridor connecting the Black Sea with the Mediterranean Sea. The crew of the NS PRIDE was reported to be uninjured and the ship continued its journey. Local media reported there was no cargo aboard at the time of explosion. Odesa Governor said earlier on Sunday that Chornomorsk was subjected overnight to an attack by Russian drones, and that part of the area had no electricity because of strikes on energy infrastructure. (Reporting and editing by Yuliia Dyesa and Pavel Polityuk)
-
Modi: India is committed to improving ties between China and India
In a meeting with China's president Xi Jinping, Narendra Modi, the Indian prime minister said that New Delhi is committed to improving ties between Beijing and New Delhi. Both countries agreed to set aside their differences after a long-running border standoff. Modi, Vladimir Putin, and other leaders of Central, South, and Southeast Asia, and the Middle East are in China to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation's two-day summit. This is a sign of global solidarity. According to a clip of Xi's meeting with Modi on the sidelines, Modi said: "We are committed in progressing our relationships based on mutual trust, respect and sensibilities." The bilateral meeting was held five days after Washington imposed 50% tariffs on Indian products due to New Delhi’s purchases of Russian crude oil. Analysts believe Xi Modi want to show a united front in the face of Western pressure. Modi claimed that an atmosphere of peace and stability has been created along their Himalayan border dispute, which was the scene of a long-term military standoff following deadly troop clashes between 2020, when most areas of strategic cooperation were frozen. He said that both countries had reached an agreement on border management without providing any details. Xinhua, the Chinese state-run media outlet, reported Xi saying: "We cannot let the border dispute define the relationship between China and India." Xi said that China-India relations could be "stable" and "far-reaching", if both sides viewed each other as partners, rather than rivals. The two leaders met in Russia in 2013 after signing a border-patrol agreement. This led to a gradual thawing of relations that has intensified in recent weeks, as New Delhi tries to counteract the threat of tariffs from Washington. Modi said that direct flights between the two nations have "been resumed" since 2020. He did not give a specific timeframe. China agreed to lift the export restrictions on rare earths as well as fertilisers and machine for tunnel boring during an important visit to India made by China's foreign minister Wang Yi. Xu Feihong, the Chinese ambassador to India, said that China will "firmly stand by India" and oppose Washington's tariffs against India. Washington has been cultivating ties with New Delhi for decades in the hopes that it will act as a counterweight to Beijing. Both countries have relaxed visa requirements for tourists in recent months. "Both India, and China are engaged what will likely be a long and difficult process to define a new balance in their relationship," said Manoj Kwalramani a Sino-Indian Relations expert at the Takshashila Institution in Bengaluru. There are still other long-term irritations in the relationship. China is India's biggest bilateral trading partner. However, the trade deficit has been a source of frustration to Indian officials for many years. This year it reached a new record high of $99.2 billion. According to estimates by the Indian government, the planned Chinese mega-dam on the Brahmaputra river could cause a mass water diversion, which would reduce the water flow in the Brahmaputra by as much as 85% during the dry season. India is also home to the Dalai Lama - the exiled Tibetan Buddhist leader who Beijing considers a separatist influence. India's arch rival Pakistan also enjoys the support of China in terms of economic, diplomatic and militarily. Reporting by Laurie Chen, Shivam Patel, in New Delhi and Liz Lee, Shi Bu, in Shanghai. Editing by Michael Perry, Jamie Freed and Michael Perry.
-
Russian drone strikes in Odesa, Ukraine cut off power to thousands
The governor of the region and the power company DTEK confirmed that a Russian drone attack on four power plants near Odesa in southern Ukraine overnight left more than 29,000 people without power Sunday. Oleh Kiper said that the city of Chornomorsk was hardest hit, located just outside of Odesa. Both residential homes and administrative buildings suffered damage, he added. Kiper stated that "critical infrastructure" was running on generators. He added that one person was injured in the attack. Could not independently verify the story. In recent weeks, Russia intensified its attacks against Ukrainian energy and gas infrastructure. Kyiv has also attacked Russian oil refineries, pipelines and other infrastructure. Russia has not commented on the continuous attacks it has made against Ukraine's critical infrastructure during the 42-month war, which Moscow began with an invasion of Ukraine. Ukraine's biggest power producer DTEK announced in a press release that four of their power facilities were attacked overnight. DTEK stated that "as soon as energy workers receive permission by the military and emergency services, they will immediately start inspecting and carrying out repair work in an emergency," DTEK. On Thursday, a Russian attack that targeted several regions in Ukraine resulted in the death of 25 people. Reporting by Lidia Kelley in Melbourne and Pavel Polityuk from Kyiv, with editing by Jamie Freed & Hugh Lawson
-
Modi: India is committed to improving ties between China and India
In a meeting on Sunday with China's president Xi Jinping, Indian President Narendra Modi reiterated that New Delhi is committed to improving ties between Beijing and New Delhi. Modi, Vladimir Putin, and other leaders of Central, South, and Southeast Asia, and the Middle East are in China to attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation's two-day summit. This is a sign of global solidarity. Modi said to Xi, "We are committed in moving our relations forward based on mutual trust, respect and sensibilities," according to a clip of the meeting posted on the official X account for the Indian leader. The bilateral meeting was held five days after Washington imposed 50% tariffs against Indian goods because of New Delhi's purchases Russian oil. Analysts believe Xi Modi want to show a united front in the face of Western pressure. Modi claimed that an atmosphere of peace and stability has been created along their Himalayan border dispute, the site of the prolonged military standoff following deadly troop clashes between 2020, which frozen most areas of collaboration between the strategic nuclear rivals. He said that both countries had reached an agreement on border management without providing any details. The two leaders met in Russia in 2013 after a border agreement was reached. This led to a tentative warming of relations that has intensified in recent weeks, as New Delhi tries to counteract the renewed tariff threats coming from Washington. Modi said that direct flights between the two nations have "been resumed" since 2020. He did not give a specific timeframe. China agreed to lift the export restrictions on rare earths as well as fertilisers and machine for tunnel boring during an important visit to India made by China's foreign minister Wang Yi. Xu Feihong, the Chinese ambassador to India, said that China will "firmly stand by India" and oppose Washington's tariffs against India. Washington has been cultivating ties with New Delhi for decades in the hopes that it will act as a counterweight to Beijing. Both countries have relaxed visa requirements for tourists in recent months. Manoj Kwalramani is a Sino-Indian Relations expert at the Takshashila Institution in Bengaluru. Reporting by Laurie Chen, in Tianjin; Shivam Patel, in New Delhi; and Liz Lee, Shi Bu, in Shanghai. Editing by Michael Perry, Jamie Freed
-
Caspian Pipeline Consortium completes cleanup operation after accident, spill
The Caspian Pipeline Consortium announced on Saturday that the cleanup operation following an oil spill and accident at its Black Sea Terminal had been completed. The company, which manages more than 1% global oil, was forced to suspend operations at 2 mooring points due to the spill. CPC said in a statement that it had suspended emergency operations after inspecting the surface conditions at the site. A study was conducted to determine the volume of oil leaking and the cause of the accident. The relevant oversight bodies attested that the site of the spill was localised quickly. The terminal received the collected waste for disposal. CPC exports mostly from Kazakhstan via Russia to the Black Sea Terminal. It deploys normally three moorings points, one of which is used as a back-up. CPC, whose investors include U.S. giants Chevron CVX.N, and Exxon Mobil XOM.N, announced that SPM-1 mooring point was still operational. CPC was in the spotlight when Russia's conflict with Ukraine began. The consortium had to close all but one of their mooring points in 2022 because damage was affecting exports. This year, its operations were disrupted by a drone attack. Reporting by
-
In several provinces, protesters have set fire to the Indonesian Parliament buildings
Indonesian protesters have set fire to regional parliament buildings across three provinces, as part of continuing demonstrations. This comes a day following the death of three people in violent violence. The incident has been a test for Prabowo Subito. Local media reported that protesters set fire to parliament buildings in West Nusa Tenggara and Cirebon, West Java, as well as Pekalongan, Central Java, and Cirebon, West Java. Detik.com reported that protesters looted office equipment in Cirebon, while police fired tear gas in Pekalongan to disperse the crowd. Authorities were not immediately available to comment on the reports. The protests in Indonesia's Jakarta began earlier this week, over the pay of lawmakers. They grew on Friday when a police car hit and killed a motorbike driver. Listyo Sigit Prabowo, the national police chief, said that on Saturday President Obama had ordered that authorities take strict action against those who break laws. Arson attacks on parliament buildings follow Friday's deadly demonstration in Makassar (capital of South Sulawesi Province) that left three dead and five wounded. Metrotvnews.com, a local media outlet in Makassar, reported a second death as a result of the fire at the parliamentary building. This report could not be independently verified. In a statement released earlier Saturday, the disaster management agency did not give any details about the deaths in the Friday fire. However, state news agency Antara reported that the victims were trapped inside the burning building. Two people were injured when they jumped out of the burning building. Local media reported that there were also protests on the island of Bali, at the police headquarters. The police reportedly used tear gas against the demonstrators. Transjakarta, a Jakarta-owned bus company, was also affected by the disruption. Reporting from Makassar by Abd Rahman Muchtar; writing by Stefanno Sulaiman, editing by William Mallard
-
New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump
The new $250 visa integrity fee imposed on foreign travelers entering the United States could put more pressure on a struggling travel industry. This is because overseas arrivals are continuing to decline due to President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown and his hostility towards many countries. According to U.S. Government data, overseas travel to the U.S. decreased 3.1% on an annual basis in July. This amounted to 19.2 millions visitors. This was the fifth consecutive month of declines this year. It defies expectations that inbound visitor numbers would surpass 79.4 millions by 2025. The new visa fee is set to take effect on October 1. This will add an extra hurdle for travelers coming from countries that do not have visa waivers, such as Mexico, Argentina and Brazil. According to the U.S. Travel Association membership organization, the extra fee brings the total visa to $442. This is one of the most expensive visitor fees in the entire world. Gabe Rizzi is the President of Altour a global travel company. He said that any friction we add will reduce travel volume by a certain amount. As summer winds down, this issue will become more urgent. We'll need to include the fees in travel budgets and paperwork. According to the World Travel & Tourism Council, international visitor spending is expected to drop below $169 billion in this year. This compares to $181 billion spent in 2024. The fee is a further indication of a negative perception about the U.S., under Trump. His immigration policies, reductions in foreign aid, and tariffs have all contributed to a decline in the appeal of America as a tourist destination, even though major events such as the FIFA World Cup 2026 and the Los Angeles Olympics 2028 are on the horizon. Wednesday, the Trump administration proposed a government regulation aimed at tightening the duration of visas granted to students, cultural exchange guests and media members. The administration announced in early August that the U.S. would require bonds up to $15,000 on some tourist and business Visas. This pilot program will run for about a year. It is an attempt to crackdown on visa overstays. Tourism Economics, a consultancy from Oxford Economics, predicted in December 2024, that travel to the U.S. by overseas citizens in 2025 will increase more than 10% annually. Aran Ryan is the director of Tourism Economics' industry studies. He said that it was on track to decline 3%. Ryan stated, "We view it as a sustained backward and we expect that much of it will be in place across the entire administration." HARDEST HIT The new visa fee will likely hit Central and South American nations the hardest, as they have been an exception for U.S. travelers this year. According to the National Travel and Tourism Office, the number of Mexicans traveling to the U.S. is expected to increase by nearly 14% between May and 2025. The number of arrivals from Argentina has increased by 20%, and those from Brazil have increased by 4.6%. Travel from Central America and South America increased by 3% each, while Western Europe saw a 2.3% decline. Arrivals in China have been muted ever since the pandemic. July figures are still 53% lower than 2019 levels. Visa fees also threaten travel from India. Visits to India are down by 2.4% this year due to a drop of nearly 18% in students. Some will simply absorb the increase in fees as another expense in an already costly trip to the U.S. The U.S. is selective in its visitors. "If your financial status isn't good enough, it will be difficult to get a visa," said Su Shu of Moment Travel, a Chinese company in Chengdu. U.S. tourists are concerned about the stricter requirements that may be imposed overseas, as foreign visitors pay higher entry fees. James Kitchen, owner and travel agent of Seas 2 Day & Travel, confirmed this concern. Kitchen stated that "Travelers expressed concerns about reciprocal fees which may be imposed over the next few months".
Archbishop criticises Farage of Reform over UK asylum policies
Stephen Cottrell has condemned Nigel Farage as the leader of Britain’s populist Reform UK Party, calling his plans to deport asylum seekers in mass numbers an "isolationist" and "short-term" reaction.
Cottrell is the Church of England’s second-most senior clergyman, who performs some functions of Archbishop of Canterbury until a new leader of the Church has been selected. He told Sky News Brexit veteran Farage "didn't offer any long-term solutions to the major issues that are wreaking havoc on our world".
In a pre-recorded Sunday interview, he said that people should "actively oppose the type of isolationist, quick-term, kneejerk,... send them back" policies.
Richard Tice (Deputy leader of Reform UK) responded by saying that "the Archbishop's role is not to interfere with the international migration policy, which is determined by government".
Cottrell’s criticism is part of a growing dispute in Britain about how to handle the large number of asylum seekers who arrive in boats. This issue has been the subject of weeks of protests in the summer outside hotels that house some of these asylum seekers.
Labour says it's tackling the problem left behind by previous Conservative administrations. It is trying to process asylum requests more quickly, and brokering deals for return with other nations. But, there is increasing pressure on them to act.
Reform UK, with a strong lead in the opinion polls ahead of an expected election in 2029 took the initiative last week to take the lead on this issue when Farage revealed his party's plan to remove asylum seekers through the repeal or disapplying of treaties that block forced deportations.
Cottrell said that these plans didn't address the primary issue of why asylum-seekers wanted to travel to Britain and that "if you think this is the solution, you will find out in due time that you have only made the problem worse". (Reporting and editing by Timothy Heritage, Elizabeth Piper)
(source: Reuters)