Latest News

President of a Japanese shipping company fears that US tariffs could slow down cargo flow, he says

Nippon Yusen, Japan's biggest shipping line, fears that tariffs imposed by U.S. president Donald Trump could increase the price of cars and everyday goods, reducing consumer demand and slowing down cargo flow, according to its president.

"The tariffs do not fall directly on the consumers but they are ultimately responsible for the burden, which reduces the flow of goods." In an interview with Takaya Soga on Monday, he said that this was his biggest concern.

Last week, Trump announced plans to impose 25% tariffs on automobile imports. This move is expected to hurt Japan's export driven economy. He also promised to announce reciprocal duties targeting all trading partners this Wednesday.

"Tariffs can have a significant impact on the economy," Soga added, adding that the actual cargo movement will determine the extent of this impact.

Soga, however, sees benefits that could come from the trade conflict. He said that even if cargo volume declines, delays caused by tariff-related procedures could disrupt logistics and tighten ship demand, which would increase freight rates.

NYK may find new business opportunities if China begins to source raw materials outside of the U.S.

In anticipation of U.S. Tariffs, a rush for consumer goods drove cargo movements in December up until the Chinese New Year. However, there has not been a major change in material flow since they went into effect, Soga stated.

The United States also plans to charge docking fees at U.S. port for any ship that is a part of a large fleet including Chinese-built or Chinese-flagged ships and will pressure allies to follow suit or face retaliation.

According to NYK, of the 800 ships owned or operated, less than 10 percent are Chinese-built.

He said that the U.S. Government will examine carefully whether or not this policy will be implemented. Therefore, we cannot state now that we are going to stop ordering vessels from China.

Soga anticipates that Red Sea avoidance will continue as long as geopolitical risk in the Middle East persists. Last year, disruptions in the Red Sea caused by attacks by Yemeni Houthi militants consumed extra capacity as many ships took an extended route around Southern Africa.

Soga stated that while the congestion of container vessels in the Panama Canal is mostly resolved, NYK has asked the Panama Canal Authority (PCA) to restore Tier 1 priority status for LNG tanker traffic.

Soga stated that the company may delay its plans to invest in vessels for offshore wind projects in Japan due to a slower than expected market development. However, overseas investments would proceed faster. (Reporting and editing by Sonali Paul, Additional reporting by Tim Kelly)

(source: Reuters)