Latest News

CK Hutchison shares lose 4.5% as China state media criticises port deal

Shares of CK Hutchison dropped as much as 4,7% on Monday, after China's state media criticized the Hong Kong conglomerate for its Panama port deal. Sources also said that the deal would be delayed. It was originally expected to be signed by April 2.

Chinese state media took down a post that they made on social media Saturday, which attacked CK Hutchison for selling its ports near Panama Canal to a BlackRock-led group.

Sources said that the deal was not cancelled, despite the fact that CK Hutchison delayed a part of its sale.

CK Hutchison's shares recovered some ground lost in early trading and were down 3% at HK$43.8. Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index fell 0.3% Monday morning.

CK Hutchison is facing increasing criticism from China for its decision to sell the majority of its ports business worth $22.8 billion to the U.S. led group.

The firm is expected to receive more than $19 billion cash from the sale.

The Chinese authorities have responded negatively to the plans for sale, while Donald Trump, the U.S. president who wants to retake the strategic waterway as his own has praised the deal.

China's market regulator announced on Friday that it would conduct an antitrust investigation on the Panama Port Deal in accordance with the law protecting fair competition, to protect the public interest.

According to the March 4 announcement, the definitive documentation for two port operations near Panama Canal should be signed no later than April 2.

On Saturday, a social media account associated with state broadcaster CCTV said that China had important national interests in the deal and the sale was "equivalent to giving a knife to a competitor". Post was removed shortly after being made public.

Separately, CK Hutchison stated on

Monday

In response to media reports on a possible spin-off listing, it said that no decision had been made regarding its global telecommunications assets.

The company has just started

Prepare yourself

Sources said that the company would spin off its global telecom assets and list them in London. (Reporting and writing by Scott Murdoch; Hong Kong Newsroom). Anne Marie Roantree and Muralikumar Aantharaman edited the article.

(source: Reuters)