Latest News

What is the US and Europe doing in response to the Houthi attacks on the Red Sea?

In a group message that accidentally revealed plans by the U.S. for an attack on Yemen's Iran aligned Houthis, senior Trump officials including Vice President JDVance and Defense Sec Pete Hegseth accused Europe "freeloading"

The attacks by the Houthis on ships in Red Sea have impacted trade between Europe and the U.S.

What is the situation in the Red Sea?

In response to threats by the Houthis to resume attacks on ships crossing the Red Sea, the U.S. launched massive military strikes against them on 16 March that resulted in the death of at least 31 people.

The Houthis, a group that has controlled most of Yemen in the last decade, announced on March 12 that they would resume their attacks on Israeli vessels passing through the Red Sea and Arabian Seas. This ended a relative calm which began with the Gaza ceasefire.

Since the threat, there have not been any seaborne attacks reported on shipping. However, Israel and the U.S. claim to have intercepted drones and missiles launched by Yemen.

The Houthis launched over 100 attacks against ships near Yemen's coastline since November 2023. They claim to be in solidarity with Palestinians in response to Israel's conflict in Gaza with Hamas militants.

According to the U.S.-based company Project44, which specializes in supply chain management, after the attacks, traffic through Suez canal will drop by 75% by 2024. Transit times have also increased by seven to fourteen days on average, as shipping companies choose longer routes.

The U.S. has also been forced to launch a costly offensive against drones and missiles after its air defences have been exhausted.

What has Donald Trump said about the U.S. STRIKES ON HOUTHIS?

Trump warned the Houthis, in a Truth Social posting that "HELL WOULD RAIN DOWN ON YOU LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE", if they didn't stop their attacks.

The White House stated that by launching these attacks, Trump’s government "was standing up to terrorism" and protecting international trade.

Five of the 10 largest importers of goods through the Red Sea were EU countries, according to the statement. The statement also stated that the Houthis had attacked U.S. commercial vessels and warships on 145 occasions since 2023.

Although no response has yet been received, the Houthis have stated that they are ready to "respond with escalation".

WHAT SHIPPING TRAFFIC DOES IT AFFECT?

Houthis has sunk at least two ships, taken another vessel and killed four seafarers.

According to a report from the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, published in April 2024, the attacks affected at least 85 countries as well as at least 29 major shipping and energy companies.

According to the report, the majority of the targeted ships were owned and operated by European companies. However, at least eight of them were owned and operated by U.S.-based companies.

Shipping companies have avoided the Red Sea since the beginning of the attacks, choosing expensive alternative routes in Africa that have hurt their profits.

Rolf Habben Jansen, Hapag-Lloyd's Frankfurt-based Chief Executive Officer, said that he didn't expect a rapid resolution of the crisis.

Rolf Habben Jansen, during a 2024 financial presentation, said: "Two to three weeks ago I would have felt more optimistic about when it will be open. Now, I am even more concerned."

Maersk, a Danish shipping company, said that last year the diverting of shipping around Africa's Cape of Good Hope had a "cascading effect" on alternative routes hubs by creating congestion.

Maersk CEO Vincent Clerc stated in February that the Houthis must "degrade their capability (to launch an attack)" or a ceasefire will be needed in Gaza to allow shipping to return to Red Sea.

What are countries doing to combat the HOUTHIS?

The former U.S. president Joe Biden announced in December 2023 that his administration would form a multinational coalition consisting of at least twenty countries, called Operation Prosperity Guardian, to protect shipping through the Red Sea.

The mission included Britain, Bahrain Canada France Italy the Netherlands Norway Seychelles Spain. Operation Aspides was created by the European Union in February 2024 after France and several other countries refused to join the U.S. led mission.

According to an EU official, Aspides has intercepted 4 ballistic missiles as well as 18 aerial drones, 2 sea drones, and protected over 400 commercial vessels.

Aspides stated last week that traffic in the Bab al-Mandab Strait immediately decreased after the U.S. Air Strikes on Yemen.

In addition, the U.S. and Britain conducted five airstrikes together against Houthi targets last year. The U.S. is continuing separate strikes.

Australia, Bahrain Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, New Zealand and Bahrain provided non-operational assistance for the joint strike.

A spokesperson for British PM Keir Starmer informed reporters on March 18 that Starmer and Trump discussed U.S. airstrikes against Houthi targets which Britain supported through routine air-to–air refuelling.

The French navy accompanied CMA-CGM vessels in the past, but in February 2024 the company halted its operations through the Red Sea. In January it said that the company was not yet ready to resume these operations due to ongoing security concerns. Reporting by Elizabeth Piper in London and Jonathan Saul, Lili Bayer and John Irish in Paris; Renee Maltezou and Alex Richardson in Athens. Writing by Charlie Devereux. Editing by Alex Richardson.

(source: Reuters)