Latest News

Taiwan seizes a cargo ship linked to China after an undersea cable is disconnected

Taiwan's Coast Guard said that it had detained a cargo ship with a China connection on Wednesday, after an undersea cable connecting the Penghu Islands to the Taiwan Strait in the sensitive area was cut.

Taiwan, which China claims to be its territory, has complained repeatedly about Chinese activities in the "grey zones" around the island. These include balloon overflights, sand dredging, and other methods of pressure without direct confrontation.

Taipei became alarmed when a ship with a Chinese connection was suspected to have damaged another cable in the first half of this year. The navy and other agencies stepped up their efforts to safeguard the underwater communication links that are crucial to the island’s connections to the outside world.

The coast guard reported that it sent three vessels to intercept the Chinese crewed Hong Tai58, registered in Togo. It had dropped anchor near the sea-cable off the southwest coast of Taiwan at the same time as it was disconnected.

The coast guard stated that the vessel was a Chinese-linked boat flying a flag for convenience. This means it is registered in a different country than its owner.

The coast guard stated that "all eight crew members were Chinese and we do not exclude the possibility of Chinese grey-zone harassment", adding that further investigations are needed.

The China Taiwan Affairs Office didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment. The owner of the ship could not be located.

The Digital Ministry said that the communications between Taiwan and Penghu as well as other offshore islands were not affected by the re-direction of services to other cables.

An anonymous senior Taiwanese security official said that the government was handling the case as an issue of national security.

The official pointed out that the boat was outside the range of normal. It had been lingering in the waters southwest of Taiwan for the past seven days and failed to respond to repeated coast guard calls.

According to the Digital Ministry, Taiwan reported five sea cable failures in this year. This compares with three each for 2024 and 2023.

Two cables undersea connecting the Matsu Islands were cut in 2023, resulting in the disconnection of the internet. Taiwan officials said two Chinese vessels were responsible for the disruption but there was no proof Beijing intentionally tampered the cables. Reporting by Yimou Le. (Editing by Gerry Doyle.)

(source: Reuters)