Latest News
-
Dutch regulator fines Uber 966 million dollars for automating driver terminations, shows document
According to a decision reviewed on August 17, the Dutch Data Protection Authority (AP), has fined Uber EUR825,000,000 ($966,000,000) for deactivating drivers accounts using automated systems without properly informing them. The fine would be the second largest ever under Europe's General Data Protection Regulation. It is behind the EUR1.2 billion fine that Ireland imposed in 2023 on Meta for illegally transferring the data of?European Facebook Users to the United States. Meta has appealed the fine. Uber also said that it would appeal. "We strongly oppose this?decision, and the disproportionate fine," said a company spokesperson. The spokesperson added that the company takes driver's rights seriously. Its current policies include human reviews as well as opportunities for drivers to dispute suspensions of platform. The AP confirmed that the decision was made, but couldn't comment on it further. In recent years, European regulators have fined large U.S. technology companies billions of Euros for violating privacy, competition and digital market regulations. Meta, Google and Apple all faced multiple fines, though the headline fines were often reduced or reversed following years-long appeals. U.S. president Donald Trump has criticised such fines and in April a senior U.S. State Department Official said that they are the "biggest source of friction" between U.S. and EU economic relations. GDPR bans decisions that are solely based on computer algorithms when they impact people's lives. Such decisions need a meaningful human review, and the ability to challenge a ruling. The decision stated that "the AP determined that Uber violated drivers' right, specifically the driver's right to not be subjected to automated decision making that has...significant implications." The decision stated that Uber had also violated the rights to information. It said the agency considered this a serious issue worthy of a large fine. This case concerns European incidents that occurred in 2020 to 2022. It was a French complaint which sparked the initial investigation. The Dutch regulator handled the case because Uber's European HQ is in the Netherlands. Uber temporarily suspended the accounts of drivers suspected?of fraudulent activity, such as when Uber's systems determined that drivers took unnecessary detours in order to inflate prices?or accepted trip without intending them to be completed. Uber stated that such suspensions are usually brief and they do not deactivate accounts permanently without human review. The AP reported that drivers with a?low rating were sometimes permanently deactivated using a?computer. Uber denied this, saying that it had never automated decisions about permanent deactivation. The company stated that one of the reasons it finds the fine to be disproportionate is because only a few drivers were affected. In Europe, 126 drivers had been deactivated due to low customer ratings by 2021.
-
Why does Trump mention the Keystone XL pipeline?
This week, during the U.S. Canada trade talks, a social media post from U.S. president Donald Trump stating that the Keystone XL pipeline "may 'be awoken?from the grave" caught the attention of many. Here's a look back at that project, which ran through parts of Canada as well as the United States. Also included are details about a new oil pipeline proposal that takes a slightly different path. What is Keystone XL? Keystone XL is a crude pipeline that was proposed. It would have been 1,181 km long and carried approximately 830,000 barrels of oil per day from the oil sands in northern Alberta, to the U.S. major storage hub of Cushing, Oklahoma. The oil would then be sent to Gulf Coast refineries. Trump revived the project during his first term after it was rejected by President Barack Obama. The pipeline, which had begun construction, was never completed because U.S. president Joe Biden revoked the key permit in 2021 for the U.S. stretch of the project. WHAT COMPANIES ARE PARTICIPATING? When the Keystone XL pipeline was cancelled, TC Energy in Canada lost billions. South Bow spun off the crude pipelines division of TC Energy to focus on natural gas. Trump, however, has been vocal in his desire to see Keystone expanded. Canada is the fourth largest oil exporter in the world. It sends over 90% of its crude production to the U.S. and many U.S. refining plants are dependent on Canadian heavy oils. South Bow had previously stated that it was "moving on" from the Keystone Project, but forecasts of increased Canadian oil production prompted the company to propose earlier this year a new project called Prairie Connector. The ?550,000-barrel-per-day project, which South Bow is working on in partnership with U.S. company Bridger Pipeline, would run from Alberta to Wyoming and would use some of the Keystone XL pipe that ?had been installed on the Canadian side of the border before that project was canceled. South Bow has said that it will decide in 2027 whether to proceed with Prairie Connector. The CEO of the company has stated that proof is needed before moving forward to ensure that a U.S. Presidential permit "is durable". South Bow has declined to comment about Trump's latest posts. What role does the 'PIPELINE' play in trade talks? Mark Carney, the Canadian Prime Minister, raised the possibility of a revival of the pipeline project in trade talks with Trump. He referred to it as an area of possible?cooperation? between the two nations. The trade talks stalled then for several months. Trump posted a Keystone meme shortly after announcing on Tuesday evening that he had granted Canada a 3-day reprieve from more tariffs. He posted it again before a midnight deadline for a new deal. (Reporting and editing by Caroline Stauffer in Calgary, and Sanjeev Mikleni)
-
Delta and Aeromexico win US Court battle to retain joint venture
The U.S. Court of Appeals on Thursday overturned the Trump Administration's order from September 2025 that was intended to force Aeromexico and Delta?Airlines to dissolve a joint venture. Last year, the?airlines?sued to stop the U.S. Department of Transportation's order to repeal a nearly 10-year-old joint-venture that allowed the carriers to coordinate the scheduling, pricing, and capacity of U.S. - Mexico flights. The USDOT order is part of a series of U.S. measures aimed at Mexico’s aviation sector due to competition concerns. Last year, a court halted the order pending legal challenges. The 11th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals stated that USDOT "didn't reasonably explain why they conducted a much more limited market study in this case than in the past, or if it imposed a requirement to approve the joint venture compared to what it required of'similar joint ventures approved in Japan. Delta, Aeromexico, and the U.S. The Justice and Transportation departments referred to the joint venture as "legalized collusion," which controls "almost 60 percent of operations at the 4th-largest gateway international to and from the United States," in reference to Mexico City flights. Delta, with a 20% stake, argued President Donald Trump held Aeromexico to a higher standard than other joint ventures such as United Airlines or Japan's ANA. The court said that USDOT's arbitrary and capricious action was because it did not apply the same standards to Delta and U.S.Japan joint-venture applicants. USDOT has taken separate action to revoke approval of 13 routes for Mexican carriers in the U.S., and cancel all combined passenger and cargo flights from Mexico City's Felipe Angeles International Airport. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy stated last year that Mexico "illegally cancelled and frozen U.S. carrier flight for three years without consequence."
-
Panama Canal will cap daily transits in anticipation of severe El Nino
It announced on Thursday that the Panama Canal Authority will limit daily transits starting in early September, as it prepares for an El Nino season expected to reduce water levels. This is a reversal of a previous promise not to restrict vessel passage. The new measures will reduce the number of vessels that can pass through the canal each day to 32 by September 15, and to 34 as of Sept. 4. In June 2026 the canal'registered 35 average daily transits, which corresponded to vessel demand. Its capacity was to handle around 40 crossings per day. Canal authorities said in May that they did not plan to restrict vessel passage this year and have already taken water conservation measures starting 2025. According to a?advisory released Thursday, daily capacity at the Neopanamax locks of the canal will be capped as of September 4, while 'capacity in?the older Panamax?locks is limited to 25 slots. The capacity of the Panamax locks will be further reduced on Sept. 15 to 23 slots. As part of its water management strategy, the canal authority has tightened draft restrictions several times.
-
At least 40 bodies found after a boat overloaded with passengers capsizes in Nigeria
Local officials and residents reported on Thursday that a?overloaded?boat capsized in Nigeria's northwest Sokoto State. Abdulkadir Yusuf is a manager at the National Inland Waterways Authority. He said that rescue efforts continue after the accident near Gorau, in Goronyo Local Government Area. Yusuf reported that around?40 bodies of children had been discovered. Nasiru Adamsu, a local lawmaker in the 'Sokoto State legislature, confirmed the death toll at 43. A local resident said that the boat was carrying farmers and workers hired to harvest rice. He estimated there were more than 70 people on board when it capsized. One resident reported that there were 57 passengers onboard. Mustapha Umar said that officials would be heading to the scene soon and will provide more information later. Overcrowding and poor maintenance, as well as a lack of enforcement of safety regulations, are all factors that contribute to deadly boat accidents in Nigeria. At least 25 people were killed in January when a leaking boat capsized on the coast of?Yobe State, north-east Nigeria.
-
Exporters warn that delays could occur as Ivory Coast prepares for EU cocoa regulations
Ivory Coast’s cocoa regulator claims the world’s largest cocoa producer, Ivory Coast, is ready for new EU anti-deforestation regulations. However exporters and buyers warn that a compliance system set to launch next month could disrupt bean sales and exports. Companies must prove that cocoa and other commodities are not associated with deforestation under the EU's anti-deforestation legislation, which comes into effect at the end December. Yves Brahima Kone, the head of the Coffee and Cocoa Council (CCC), said that digital ID cards would be issued to farmers from September 1, 2026/27. The cards, which were introduced in 2019, are electronic wallets that track cocoa from the farms to the export ports. They also verify the origin of the cocoa and ensure farmers get the guaranteed price. "We are prepared to prove that our cacao is traceable and certified." Kone stated that the 'producer card' is now operational and meets the expectations of chocolate customers. He said that the cards would also allow more than 1 million small-scale farmers to access the banking system?for a first time. According to the'regulator,' Ivory Coast is home to between 1.2 and 1.3 million cocoa producers. INDUSTRY WARNS ABOUT DISRUPTIONS According to industry sources, the launch could cause bottlenecks when the new season starts. We spoke with nine buyers, seven suppliers and four cooperative managers. Sources said that farmers who do not have their cards or have lost them may be unable sell cocoa and this could slow down purchases. The sources also mentioned a shortage in?card terminals. Participants in the industry questioned whether the system could be effective in preventing illegally grown cocoa in protected areas to enter the supply chain, even if administrative problems are resolved. Ivory Coast estimates that cocoa produced in protected forest and national parks represents 15% of the national production. Exporters and European environmental groups estimate the figure at around 30%. Sources said that illegally produced cocoa could still be mixed with legal beans and shipped to Abidjan and San Pedro ports, in part because the output of each farmer can only be estimated and not precisely measured. "We know the benefits of this card, but there will be many problems and chaos during the season. The director of an European export company in Abidjan said that the new European regulation regarding deforestation is too complex to be implemented on the ground. There will be delays throughout the supply chain, including in the purchasing and exporting of goods. "That's unquestionable," said a senior executive of another European export company. Ange Aboa is the reporter. Anait Miridzhanian (Editing), Rob Corey-Boulet, Mark Potter and Anait Miridzhanian
-
Discover Airlines, a subsidiary of Lufthansa, says that fuel shortages in Namibia could affect flights to Europe
Discover Airlines, a subsidiary of Lufthansa, said on Thursday that a temporary fuel shortage could affect its flights to Europe. The airline said that aircraft operating flights to Frankfurt and Munich out of Windhoek were being rerouted through Angola in order to refuel. A spokesperson for the Lufthansa Group said that there was a temporary and local shortage of?fuel at Windhoek International Airport. As reported in local Namibian media, Lufthansa has not responded to the question of whether its cargo freight is also affected by fuel shortages. Namibia Airports Company issued a statement stating that it was aware of fuel supply challenges for the Jet A-1 at the main aviation gateway in the country and that efforts were being made to minimize disruptions. (Reporting by Wendell Roelf, Additional Reporting by Sfundo parakozov, Writing by Nilutpal Timsina and Editing by Alexander Winning).
-
Shein postpones IPO until September 1, according to sources
Shein plans to list its Hong Kong initial public offering on Monday, according to a source with knowledge of the matter. Two other sources also said that Shein is aiming for a September 1 listing, which is slightly later than originally planned. One source said that while September 1 was the "target date", the listing might happen a few weeks later. Last week, it was reported that Shein had hoped to list her company on August 28. Investors' appetite for Shein has been dampened by the slowing growth and increasing costs, as first reported by South China Morning Post. Shein, the online fast fashion retailer, was once seen as a disruptor to established brands like H&M and Zara because of its ultra-low price and rapid supply chain. Shein's valuation is aiming for $26 billion to $27 billion according to a source who has a direct knowledge of the issue. This is a sharp drop from the $100 billion it was valued at in its private fundraising in 2022. Investor?meetings in advance of the IPO began with the company requesting an IPO valuation between $30 billion and $40 billion. Shein did not respond to an inquiry for comment. Reporting by Kane Wu, Helen Reid. Mark Potter and Mrigank Dhaniwala edited the report.
A man armed with a sword injured several people in a Swedish high school
Local authorities reported that a man was arrested after he allegedly injured several people with a saber at a Swedish high-school on Friday. The incident triggered a massive response by emergency services. The incident happened on Friday at Brinell High School, which has around 450 students between 16 and 20 years old in Fagersta.
A police spokesperson said: "We received a report at 1406 (or 1206 GMT) of suspected violent death and sent all the resources we could to the school."
A spokesperson stated that one person was taken into custody and there was no danger to the public. "IT FEELS UNTREAL"
Some students were attending their first day of senior high school. Madelene Jansson was interviewed by the local newspaper Fagersta-posten outside of the school where her daughter attended. "I got a message first from her saying that someone had been stabbed, and that the police were en route. It all just 'went off'. She told the newspaper that it felt unreal.
After the attack with the sword, several other schools and buildings in Fagersta also went into lockdown. Vastmanland County Authority said that it has adopted a high alert status. "We have adopted a high alert status in order to marshal resources and get a clearer picture of the situation. This will allow us to make the best decisions possible," Jonas Cederberg, Director of Health and Medical Services, said in a press release.
The daily Expressen reported that police shot the suspect but they could not confirm this immediately.
This incident occurs a year after the worst mass shooting ever in Swedish history, which took place in Orebro in central Sweden. A gunman shot 10 people before turning his weapon on himself.
Justice Minister Gunnar strommer stated in a press release that the Swedish government was in contact with police after Friday's incident.
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kritersson stated that the police were working on the case intensively and asked for everyone to leave them alone and allow the emergency services to work.
In a social media post, he wrote: "Our thoughts are for all those affected."
Magdalena Andersson of the Social Democrats, who leads a centre-left coalition that is leading in polls ahead next month's elections, stated, "All of Sweden stands with Fagersta during this difficult time."
(source: Reuters)