Latest News
-
After a week of protests, operations at Australia's coal port will resume on Monday.
The Port of Newcastle, Australia's largest coal export port, will resume its operations on Monday after protesters against climate change disrupted shipping for the second day in a row on Sunday. The latest protest was organized by the climate activist group Rising Tide. They claimed that hundreds of activists violated an exclusion zone on Sunday, when they paddled their kayaks in the shipping lane at Newcastle Harbour. The port is located 170 km north of the state capital of New South Wales, Sydney. It is the largest bulk-shipping port on the east of Australia. Climate change is an issue that divides the nation. Port of Newcastle spokesperson stated late Sunday that "Vessel operations will resume tomorrow, as scheduled," after general cargo movement, including alumina bound to Australia's biggest aluminium smelter Tomago were aborted because of the protest. Rising Tide reported that more than 100 people were arrested at the protest on Sunday. The police did not confirm the number immediately, but in a previous statement they said that 21 people had been arrested at the protest and charged with "alleged maritime-related offenses". Greenpeace Australia Pacific reported that three of its activists had climbed on a coal vessel near the port and stopped it from operating as part of a peaceful demonstration. Greenpeace Australia Pacific's head of climate change and energy, Joe Rafalowicz, said in a press release that "Greenpeace is taking action this weekend, along with Rising Tide, and thousands of ordinary people." A protest in Newcastle on Saturday forced a ship arriving to return and the police arrested 11 people. Last year, a similar multi-day action on climate change was held. 170 protesters arrested. Australia has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.
-
Australia Climate Change Protest disrupts Shipping at Coal Port, 21 Arrest
The Port of Newcastle was disrupted by a climate-change demonstration off Australia's East Coast on Sunday, resulting in 21 arrests. This is the second protest to occur within two days. The climate activist group Rising Tide claimed responsibility for the act, saying that hundreds of activists paddled in kayaks into the shipping lanes of Newcastle Harbour at local time on Sunday. The port is located 170 km north of Sydney, the capital of the state. It is Australia's largest bulk shipping port. Climate change is an issue that divides the nation. Port of Newcastle spokesperson: "General cargo movement is now being aborted because of the protester disruption." Alumina bound for Australia’s largest aluminum smelter Tomago was "now being disrupted." The spokesperson stated that a coal ship had been denied entry into the port earlier due to safety concerns because of protesters on the water. In a press release, the police said that at Sunday's protest 21 people had been arrested and charged with "alleged maritime-related offenses". Greenpeace Australia Pacific reported that three of its activists had climbed on a coal vessel near the port and stopped it from operating as part of a "peaceful demonstration". Greenpeace Australia Pacific's head of climate change and energy, Joe Rafalowicz, said in a press release that "Greenpeace is taking action this weekend, along with Rising Tide, and thousands of ordinary people." A protest in Newcastle on Saturday forced a ship arriving to return and the police arrested 11 people. Last year, a similar multi-day action on climate change was held in which 170 people were arrested. Australia has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.
-
Moldova claims that Russian drones have again entered its airspace, posing a threat to aviation.
The Moldovan authorities reported on Saturday that Russian drones entered the country's skies, posing an aviation threat. This is the third incident of this kind in nine days. The president of Moldova, Maia Sandu has condemned the Russian war in Ukraine, and accused Moscow for trying to destabilise this ex-Soviet country, located between Ukraine and EU Member Romania. The latest incident occurred at the same time as a massive Russian attack against Kyiv and Ukrainian targets that killed three people and injured nearly 30 others. Volodymyr Zelenskiy, the Ukrainian president, said that Russia launched 36 missiles and 600 drones. The interior ministry of Moldova said that it had identified the drones as Russians and they had flown above Moldovan territory. This led to the closure of Moldova's airspace. The report added that they later flew onto Ukrainian territory. The civil aviation authority ordered that the Moldovan airspace be closed from 22.43 until 23.53 (from 2043 to 2153 GMT). Sandu wrote on the X platform: "On their path to kill civilians Russian drones violated Moldovan's airspace again, forcing it temporary closure. We condemn these strikes and stand with Ukraine." Moldova, which had complained about a similar intrusion in November and earlier this week as well, has described the latest incident in the context the conflict in Ukraine. It also denounced the "illegal and danger actions" posing a risk to civil flights and the lives of people. Oleg Ozerov has been summoned repeatedly to the Foreign Ministry of Russia over these incidents. Ozerov said the incidents were meant to worsen already bad relations between Moscow and Chisinau. Since Sandu's first election in 2020, Moscow accuses Moldova of being behind unfriendly acts and stirring up anti-Russian feelings. (Reporting and writing by Alexander Tanas; editing by Alexander Smith, Diane Craft, and Ron Popeski)
-
Moldova claims that Russian drones have again entered its airspace, posing a threat to aviation.
The Moldovan authorities reported on Saturday that Russian drones entered the country's skies, posing an aviation threat. This is the third incident of this kind in nine days. The president of Moldova, Maia Sandu has condemned the Russian war in Ukraine, and accused Moscow for trying to destabilize the ex-Soviet country, located between Ukraine and EU Member Romania. The interior ministry of Moldova said that it had identified the drones as Russians and they had flown above Moldovan territory. This led to the closure of Moldova's airspace. The report added that they later flew onto Ukrainian territory. The civil aviation authority ordered that the Moldovan airspace be closed from 22.43 until 23.53 (from 2043 to 2153 GMT). Moldova, which had complained about a similar intrusion in November and earlier this week as well, has described the latest incident in the context the conflict in Ukraine. It also denounced the "illegal and danger actions" posing a risk to civil flights and the lives of people. Oleg Ozerov has been summoned repeatedly to the Foreign Ministry of Russia over these incidents. Ozerov questioned this week whether the drones displayed outside the ministry were involved in any intrusion. He suggested that the incidents were meant to worsen the already bad relations between Moscow and Chisinau. Since Sandu's first election in 2020, Moldovan relations with Russia are under strain. Moscow accuses it of being behind unfriendly acts and stirring up anti-Russian feelings. The Moldovan parliament ordered this week the closure of an Russian cultural center in Chisinau. They said it could be used to promote narratives that pose a threat to national safety. (Reporting and writing by Alexander Tanas; editing by Alexander Smith).
-
Trump says the airspace above Venezuela and around it should be closed
The U.S. president Donald Trump stated on Saturday that airspace surrounding Venezuela and above it should be "closed completely", but did not provide any further details. Washington is increasing pressure on President Nicolas Maduro’s government. Trump stated in a Truth Social posting that "All Airlines, Pilots, Drunk Dealers, and Traffickers, Please consider the entire airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed." Venezuela's Communications Ministry, which is responsible for all government press inquiries, didn't immediately respond to a comment request on Trump's tweet. The U.S. Defense Department didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment. U.S. attacks against alleged drugs boats in the Caribbean are ongoing for months. A U.S. buildup of military in the area is also underway. Trump has authorized covert CIA missions in Venezuela. The President said to military members that "very soon" the U.S. will begin land operations in order to stop suspected Venezuelan drugs traffickers. The U.S. Aviation regulator warned major airlines last week of a potentially hazardous situation when flying over Venezuela because of the "worsening situation in security and increased military activity around or within" the South American nation. Venezuela revoked the operating rights of six major international carriers that had suspended flights after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration warned. The Trump administration accused Maduro, who has denied the charge, of being involved in drug trafficking. Maduro has been in power since 2013 and has stated that Trump wants to remove him. He also said that Venezuelans and the military would resist such an attempt. The U.S. military in the region has focused so far on counter-narcotics, despite the fact that the firepower assembled far exceeds what is needed for them. Since September, they have conducted at least 21 attacks on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean or Pacific region. At least 83 people were killed. Reporting by Mrinmay dey in Bengaluru and Lucia Mutikani, Washington, and Idrees Al; editing by Kirby Donovan and Sergio Non, and Alexander Smith
-
The death toll from Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has risen to 153
Officials said that at least 153 people were killed and 191 missing in Sri Lanka due to landslides, flooding and Cyclone Ditwah. More than half a milllion people are affected across the country. The Disaster Management Centre reported that more than 78,000 people were moved into nearly 800 centres of relief, most of which are located in schools. Thousands of army, navy and police personnel are clearing roads, distributing food and moving families trapped in the mud to safety. The worst floods in a decade Mallika Kumari's home, which was submerged to the roof Friday morning, is among those who sought refuge in relief centers. She packed her three children and her husband into a rented truck, then spent the night on the roadside. Kumari, her 554 neighbors, and the Kelani River are located in Malwana in Colombo's 20 km (12 mile) distance. They face the worst floods in the last decade. Rescue boats transport stranded family members, including Kumari who wanted to retrieve her children's clothing and schoolbooks from her home. "I heard the flood warnings on television, but we didn't expect the river to overflow that quickly. "We just ran out of the home without anything," Kumari said. "We haven’t even eaten breakfast." My two sons are sick. I need to buy them medicine. I have brought some garbage bags to collect the clothes. In her hurry, Kumari forgot to bring her cat with her. A navy boat later found it and brought it back on dry land. Homes Under Water and Without Power Authorities said that the flooding in Malwana, and other low-lying parts of Colombo left many homes underwater and without electricity. Meteorological authorities forecast rain to continue over the weekend. This has sparked fears about further flooding in areas already affected by flooding. Some residents chose to stay in the upper floors, protecting their possessions. The flooding has caused local businesses such as pharmacies, fabric shops, and supermarkets to be overwhelmed, causing financial losses for shop owners who worry about the long-term recovery. Volunteers prepared rice parcels containing chicken curry and dhal for flood victims at the Dalugala Thakiya Mosque. They hoped to increase their capacity by Sunday. Risham Ahmad, an organizer of the meals, said that people working daily jobs are having difficulty finding work and have low savings. They are concerned about how they will put their lives back together.
-
Security official: Ukraine drones hit two tankers in the Black Sea that are part of a shadow fleet
An official of the SBU said that Ukraine had used marine drones to hit two Russian tankers in the Black Sea which were exporting oil and avoiding Western sanctions. An anonymous official confirmed that the SBU, along with the Ukrainian navy, conducted a joint operation against the vessels of the so-called "shadow fleet". Turkish authorities said two shadow fleet tanks were damaged by explosions near Turkey's Bosphorus Strait, causing them to catch fire. Rescue operations for the crews aboard were also launched. SBU officials said that both tankers – identified as the Kairos & Virat – were empty, and they were on their way to Novorossiysk a major Russian oil port. The video (footage), which shows the damage done to both tanks, is shocking. They were taken out of service. The official stated that this will be a major blow to Russian oil transport. The strikers did not specify when they took place. Ukraine has repeatedly called for stronger international measures against Russia's "shadow fleet", which, it claims, is helping Moscow to export huge quantities of oil while funding its war in Ukraine. (Reporting and writing by Tom Balmforth; editing by Toby Chopra and Kirovan).
-
CPC: Drones have damaged equipment and stopped oil exports.
The Caspian Pipeline Consortium, which manages more than 1% global oil production, announced on Saturday that it had halted its operations following an attack by Ukrainian drones to a mooring in the Black Sea terminal. In a statement, it stated that further operation of the mooring point 2, one of three important pieces of exporting machinery, was not possible. CPC exports from Kazakhstan mainly via Russia and Black Sea terminal. CPC is owned by Chevron, Exxon Mobil and other major U.S. companies. It's not looking too good. It was badly damaged. A trader said that they were going to launch a third mooring, which was under repair. The attack on the terminal did not result in any injuries among CPC employees or contractors, according to the consortium. The emergency protection system had shut down all pipelines at the time of the explosion. According to preliminary reports, no oil spilled in the Black Sea. CPC stated that "shipments will be made at the terminal in accordance with the established rules as soon as the threat of unmanned boats and drones has been eliminated."
Nigeria boat crash leaves dozens dead in River Niger
Residents and a local official said that dozens of people are believed to be dead after a boat capsized in northern Nigeria carrying mostly women, children and returning from a religious event.
Abdullahi Baba Arah is the head of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency. He said that the accident occurred around 8:30 pm (1930 GMT), on Tuesday, when the wooden boat with almost 300 passengers went down in the River Niger.
He added that rescue workers and volunteers in rural Mokwa, Niger's local government area, had rescued 150 individuals.
In a press release, Arah stated that the search and rescue operations are still underway to find more survivors.
Ismaila Umar who heads an association of boat skippers in Mokwa said that the chances of finding survivors are slim.
It is the second major boating accident to have occurred in Niger in the last 18 months, after another boating accident that killed more than 100 people.
Most boat accidents in Nigeria are caused by overcrowding, poor maintenance and lack of safety measures. Reporting by Garba Mohammed in Kaduna, and Ahmed Kingimi at Maiduguri; writing by MacDonald Dzirutwe with editing by Barbara Lewis.
(source: Reuters)