Latest News

A US doctor who has been in contact with an Ebola patient will be hospitalised in Czech Republic

Czech officials confirmed that a U.S. physician is being transferred from Uganda to a hospital in Prague after coming into contact with an Ebola-infected patient.

Adam Vojtech, the Health Minister on 'X' on Wednesday, said that the doctor was showing no signs of the deadly virus. He will be hospitalized as a precaution after a request from the United States.

In eastern Democratic Republic of Congo there have been more than 130 confirmed deaths linked to the Ebola outbreak. Cases have also been confirmed in neighboring Uganda.

The Faculty Hospital Bulovka, a specialist in infectious diseases, in Prague said late on Tuesday that the patient would be transported in an isolation unit, and expected to arrive Wednesday evening.

The hospital stated that "the case does not present a threat to the public of the Czech Republic and procedures are set for similar situations."

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization, declared Saturday that the outbreak of "the rare Bundibugyo virus strain" was a public health emergency of international concern. This is the first time the WHO director has taken such a step before convening a committee to deal with the emergency.

Experts are concerned by the outbreak because it spread undetected for several weeks in a heavily populated area that had been ravaged with widespread violence.

A deadly outbreak in eastern Congo between 2018 and 2020 killed more than 2,300 people. (Reporting and editing by Andrew Heavens; Jason Hovet)

(source: Reuters)