Latest News

Trump administration wants to disqualify a judge in a law firm case

The administration of President Donald Trump asked the federal court overseeing the challenge of Trump's executive orders targeting the law firm Perkins Coie on Friday to step down from the case. They accused her of "patterns of hostility" towards the president.

Lawyers for the Justice Department said that Beryl Howell, U.S. district judge, could "reasonably" be questioned about her impartiality. Her past rulings and comments in cases against Trump's supporters stemming from the attack on the U.S. Capitol in January 2021 were cited by the Justice Department lawyers.

In a court document, the lawyers stated that "this Court has not kept their disdain of President Trump secret." It has expressed its opinions loudly, both inside and outside of the courtroom.

Howell, a Democratic appointee to President Barack Obama, temporarily blocked last week the Trump administration's ability to enforce a large part of its order against Perkins Coie - whose links are with Democrats - after finding that it violated the U.S. Constitution.

In recent weeks, the Trump administration has intensified its criticism of federal court judges as courts are one of few restraints on Trump's extensive use of presidential powers.

A spokesperson for the D.C. Federal court did not respond to a comment request immediately.

Trump's order to Perkins Coie was a response to the firm's work for Trump’s former political opponent Hillary Clinton. The order was in response to Perkins Coie's work on behalf of Trump's former political rival Hillary Clinton.

Howell has spoken out in recent cases involving Trump to defend the rule of law, American democracy, and the protection of the rule.

Howell, after Trump pardoned the defendants in the January 6 cases he criticized the pardons for perpetuating a “revisionist myth” about the riot. He said that they glorified the "poor losers", upset because Trump lost the 2020 elections.

The Trump Administration cited this order in its motion disqualifying the judge, and in a separate ruling Howell made a former Trump lawyer testify before a grand jury that was hearing evidence regarding Trump's retention classified documents.

The testimony of the lawyer was part of a criminal case that has since been dismissed against Trump in relation to these documents.

(source: Reuters)