Latest News

Trump says the airspace above Venezuela and around it should be closed

The U.S. president Donald Trump stated on Saturday that airspace surrounding Venezuela and above it should be "closed completely", but did not provide any further details. Washington is increasing pressure on President Nicolas Maduro’s government.

Trump stated in a Truth Social posting that "All Airlines, Pilots, Drunk Dealers, and Traffickers, Please consider the entire airspace above and surrounding Venezuela to be closed."

Venezuela's Communications Ministry, which is responsible for all government press inquiries, didn't immediately respond to a comment request on Trump's tweet.

The U.S. Defense Department didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment.

U.S. attacks against alleged drugs boats in the Caribbean are ongoing for months. A U.S. buildup of military in the area is also underway. Trump has authorized covert CIA missions in Venezuela.

The President said to military members that "very soon" the U.S. will begin land operations in order to stop suspected Venezuelan drugs traffickers.

The U.S. Aviation regulator warned major airlines last week of a potentially hazardous situation when flying over Venezuela because of the "worsening situation in security and increased military activity around or within" the South American nation.

Venezuela revoked the operating rights of six major international carriers that had suspended flights after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration warned.

The Trump administration accused Maduro, who has denied the charge, of being involved in drug trafficking.

Maduro has been in power since 2013 and has stated that Trump wants to remove him. He also said that Venezuelans and the military would resist such an attempt.

The U.S. military in the region has focused so far on counter-narcotics, despite the fact that the firepower assembled far exceeds what is needed for them.

Since September, they have conducted at least 21 attacks on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean or Pacific region. At least 83 people were killed. Reporting by Mrinmay dey in Bengaluru and Lucia Mutikani, Washington, and Idrees Al; editing by Kirby Donovan and Sergio Non, and Alexander Smith

(source: Reuters)