Latest News

US releases an additional $77 Million in frozen New York Tunnel funding

New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that the Trump administration had'released' another $77m in federal funding frozen for the $16bn Hudson Tunnel Project. The political battle over this critical infrastructure was continuing.

New York and New Jersey sued the U.S. Department of Transportation after it withheld funding of $205 million for the project from October 1. The funding freeze caused construction to stop, putting 1,000 workers out-of-work.

Release of $30 Million

On Friday, the remaining $107 million was released. USDOT spokesperson said that the agency was?following court orders'.

The Gateway Development Commission overseeing the project said Tuesday that the construction was halted. It is working to "get the workers back to the job so some construction can resume as soon as possible."

Sources claim that Republican President Donald Trump promised to unfreeze funds last month in exchange for Democratic support?to rename Washington Dulles Airport, and New York Penn Station, after him. Democrats strongly criticized the idea.

The Hudson Tunnel Project aims to construct a new commuter train tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey, and repair an old tunnel that is used daily by over 200,000 passengers and 425 trains.

Hudson Tunnel needs emergency repairs frequently to prevent travel disruptions on the country's busiest passenger rail line.

Trump said on Monday on social media that he was opposed to the project and worried about cost overruns in the billions.

Trump stated that "Gateway would be equally financially?catastrophic to the region unless hard work is done and proper planning undertaken NOW in order to avoid insurmountable future cost overruns."

Hochul told reporters that she had called Trump Monday, after his tweet and informed him that the project was not facing any cost issues.

Hochul, urging the administration to not impact future funding, said: "It's urgent that we build this underground tunnel. Imagine if this tunnel failed.

The U.S. District Judge Jeannette Vargas had ordered that the Federal?Government release funds to the project in the first week of this month.

Under then-Democratic President Joe Biden, the project received federal funding of about $15 billion. So far, nearly $2 billion has already been spent. (Reporting and editing by Nia William; David Shepardson)

(source: Reuters)