Latest News
-
CPC: Drones have damaged equipment and stopped oil exports.
The Caspian Pipeline Consortium, which manages more than 1% global oil production, announced on Saturday that it had halted its operations following an attack by Ukrainian drones to a mooring in the Black Sea terminal. In a statement, it stated that further operation of the mooring point 2, one of three important pieces of exporting machinery, was not possible. CPC exports from Kazakhstan mainly via Russia and Black Sea terminal. CPC is owned by Chevron, Exxon Mobil and other major U.S. companies. It's not looking too good. It was badly damaged. A trader said that they were going to launch a third mooring, which was under repair. The attack on the terminal did not result in any injuries among CPC employees or contractors, according to the consortium. The emergency protection system had shut down all pipelines at the time of the explosion. According to preliminary reports, no oil spilled in the Black Sea. CPC stated that "shipments will be made at the terminal in accordance with the established rules as soon as the threat of unmanned boats and drones has been eliminated."
-
Airbus A320 major recall affects global airlines
Airbus, Europe's largest aircraft manufacturer, ordered the immediate repair of 6,000 A320 jets. The recall affected more than half of the world fleet and threatened disruption during the busiest weekend for travel in the U.S. According to a notice sent to airlines, the fix involves mostly reverting back to older software. However, it is necessary to do this before planes can be flown again. The repairs may cause flight cancellations or delays, according to several airlines. The following are the major disruptions reported by airlines at 0733 GMT, in alphabetical order. Aer Lingus Aer Lingus, the Irish airline, said that only a small number of aircraft had been affected. Air France The airline announced that it would cancel 35 flights. Air India Air India has finished the software fix for 42 of its 113 affected aircraft. It anticipates some delays, but no cancellations. Air India Express India's aviation regulator has said that 25 aircraft require software updates. Air New Zealand Air New Zealand expects some cancellations of its services. American Airlines, the world's largest A320 operator, said that it expected some operational delays. However, it reduced the number of aircraft in need of the software fix from 340 to 209 as it had predicted earlier. ANA Holdings The Japanese airline cancelled 65 flights Saturday. Avianca The Colombian airline said that the recall affected over 70% of its fleet and would cause "significant" disruptions in operations for the next 10 working days. Avianca has closed the sales of tickets for travel dates up to December 8. Delta Airlines Delta Airlines, the U.S. carrier, expects that any operational impact will be minimal. Flynas, the Saudi Arabian low-cost airline, expects some delays. IndiGo, India's biggest airline, has finished the software fixes on 143 of its 200 aircraft. IndiGo warned that there may be some delays. Korean Air According to the South Korean airline, work will be completed on 10 aircraft by Sunday. Latam Airlines According to the carrier, a small number of aircraft required software fixes. Lufthansa The German airline anticipates that there will be a few flight delays or cancellations over the weekend. Turkish Airlines Turkish Airlines said that eight A320 aircraft will return to service once it has completed the necessary actions. United Airlines United Airlines expects a minor disruption on a few flights, after stating that six aircraft are affected by the recall. A software update will affect the Mexican airline's fleet, but there is no set time for when the aircraft can fly again. Wizz Air The European budget carrier said that the software update was implemented overnight on its A320s. No further disruption is expected. Reporting by Jubybabu in Mexico City and Parth Chandna, in Bengaluru; Abhijithganapavaram in Bengaluru; Ben Blanchard, Tim Kelly, Arun Koyyur, editing.
-
Inside London's largest lost property office: From mobile phones to frogs cooked,
The 6,000 items that are delivered weekly to Transport for London’s lost property storage facility include mobile phones, wallets (including rucksacks), spectacles, keys, and rucksacks. There are also some surprises, such as a bag of frogs cooked and an urn containing ashes. Diana Quaye, manager of Transport for London said that the frogs were not kept. The frogs, flies, and other perishables are thrown away along with the sandwiches left on the Victoria Line of London Underground, or the chocolate bars on the top decks of buses. Everything else, however, is sorted, labeled, and logged in Transport for London’s east London warehouse. The biggest lost property office in Europe Transport for London reports that the warehouse is slightly smaller than a soccer pitch and packed with rows of sliding shelving. It has 45 staff. The umbrella handles are protruding from one shelf and books are overflowing from another. Meanwhile, hundreds of children's stuffed toys, such as a giant St Bernard dog toy, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and other stuffed animals, wait for collection. A section is dedicated to interesting finds over the years. The flea market has a variety of treasures, including a wedding gown, a fox taxidermy, and an artificial limb. Only a fifth of the items that are lost in London's underground, overground, black cabs, and buses, are ever recovered. Transport for London holds items for a typical three-month period before deciding whether they will be auctioned or donated to charity. At Christmas, they give new toys to a charity for children and sports equipment to the local school. Transport for London kept the urn of cremated remains, which was in a bag, for seven years, before returning it to its German owner. Quaye stated that the most common culprits of lost property are commuters on buses. She said, "I don’t know if they get a little relaxed on the bus but they tend leave things on there." (Reporting and writing by Vitalii Yalahuzian, Marissa Davison, Sarah Young. Editing by Conor Humphries.)
-
Climate protests in Australia force ship to abandon arrival at coal port. 11 people charged
On Saturday, a climate-change demonstration off the coast of Australia forced a ship inbound to return from one of Australia's biggest terminals for coal imports. This led to 11 arrests. The police in New South Wales said that those arrested at the protest near Port of Newcastle, located 170 km from Sydney, the capital of the state, were accused of "alleged maritime-related offenses". According to the state, the port is Australia's largest bulk shipping facility on the east coast. Port of Newcastle spokesperson stated that one vessel had been prevented from entering, but "shipping will continue to be carried out as planned". Rising Tide, an activist group for climate change, said that a coal-burning ship was forced to abandon its arrival when kayakers, small boats and swimmers were seen entering the shipping channel. Rising Tide, who carried out a similar demonstration last year, released a statement. Climate change is an issue that divides Australians, as coal and iron ore are the top commodities exported.
-
Japan's ANA cancels a total of 65 flights this Saturday following the Airbus A320 Recall
ANA Holdings says that it has cancelled 65 flights after the Airbus A320 was recalled, forcing it to ground aircraft. Airbus single-aisle aircraft such as the A320 are the most popular in Japan, and the carrier is one of the largest operators, with Peach Aviation and other affiliates. ANA's main rival, Japan Airlines, is a Boeing-only carrier and does not operate the A320. The recall of Airbus A320 jets affects over half of its global fleet, including the A320 family, which is the backbone of Asian aviation for short-haul flights, especially in China and India. About 11,300 single-aisle aircraft are in service worldwide, including 6,440 A320s. Fixing the problem involves going back to older software. Although relatively easy, this must be done before planes are able to fly again. Asiana Airlines, a South Korean airline, said that only 17 aircraft were affected by the recall. (Reporting and editing by Tom Hogue, Maki Shiraki and Tim Kelly)
-
American Airlines reduces the number of Airbus jets that need software fixes to 209
American Airlines announced on Friday that it expected some operational delays as a result of a major software update on a large number of Airbus A320 aircraft. Initially, the airline said the problem affected about 340 aircraft. American Airlines has confirmed that only 209 A320 aircraft in the A320 family are affected. This is down from over 340 originally identified. American announced in a press release that as of 6 pm CT (0000 GMT), less than 150 aircraft remained to be updated. The airline anticipates that the majority of updates will be completed over night, leaving only a few for Saturday. Airbus, based in Europe, ordered a software update for a large number of its A320 jets. (Reporting from AnshumanTripathy and RajveerSinghPardesi in Bengaluru, and David Shepardson at Washington; editing by Vijay Kishore & Stephen Coates).
-
After a brief stopover due to a bomb threat, flights to Philadelphia International are now able resume.
According to the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, and the police, flights to Philadelphia International Airport were temporarily grounded due to a threat of a bomb. The incident was resolved without incident. Soon after 7 pm local time (00:00 GMT), the FAA issued an advisory to ground staff at the airport, stating that there was a threat of a bomb. The FAA announced that the incident had been resolved and normal operations were resumed about 30 minutes after the initial announcement. A police spokesperson stated in an email that the ground stoppage occurred because of a "situation aboard the plane that required the assistance from the Philadelphia Police." The spokesperson confirmed that the plane is now cleared to take off and the ground blockage has been lifted. There were reports earlier in the month of bomb threats made at other U.S. Airports that were cleared without incident. Early November, the Reagan Washington National Airport was temporarily shut down due to a bomb scare against a United Airlines flight. At the time, the FBI reported that it had investigated the report and found no hazardous material. A Delta flight at LaGuardia International Airport, which was scheduled to take off that day, was evacuated prior to takeoff due reports of a possible bomb threat. Reporting by Ismail Shakil and Kanishka Singh; Editing and production by Diane Craft and Chris Reese
-
Jetstar Airways, Australia's largest airline, is affected by a software problem with Airbus fleets and cancels some flights
Jetstar Airways, Australia's flag carrier Qantas' budget airline, announced on Saturday that it had been affected by the Airbus A320 global fleet recall, which affects more than half the aircraft. Airbus, Europe’s largest aerospace company, announced on Friday that it had ordered immediate repairs for 6,000 of its popular A320 jets. This caused disruptions around the world. This fix involves mostly reverting back to older software, but it must be done before the planes are able to fly again. A Jetstar spokesperson stated in a Saturday statement that "Jetstar has been affected by a software problem that affects all A320 family operators worldwide." The spokesperson stated that "to respond to an Airbus precautionary measure, we have canceled some Jetstar Airways flight." Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin's biggest competitor Virgin have a combined share of about 65% in Australia's domestic air market. Qantas stated on Saturday that the Airbus recall had no impact on Qantas' aircraft. Virgin Australia's spokesperson stated that the company "does not anticipate any impact on Virgin Australia or Regional Airline Operations." Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) reported that there were significant delays on Saturday at Melbourne Airport due to the Airbus recall. This is one of the biggest in Airbus' 55-year history. This recall comes just weeks after the A320 surpassed the Boeing 737 in terms of the number of aircraft delivered. (Reporting and editing by Chris Reese in Sydney, Sam McKeith is based in Sydney)
US business delegation visiting China, SCMP reports
The South China Morning Post reported Sunday that a high-level delegation of the U.S. China Business Council would visit China this coming week. They are expected to meet with senior Chinese officials.
Reports indicate that the delegation will include Boeing executives, USCBC President Sean Stein and FedEx Chief Executive Rajesh Subramaniam.
Could not verify immediately the report.
A source told SCMP that "they are expected to meet Chinese officials, possibly to revive business talks".
The SCMP reported that both sides were working on securing a visit by the U.S. President to China this year.
The council didn't respond to the request for a comment immediately.
The visit coincides the latest round U.S. - China trade negotiations, which are taking place in Sweden from July 27-30. Vice Premier He Lifeng of China will be meeting with U.S. officials for a fresh round of economic and trading talks.
China has until August 12 to come up with a lasting deal with the White House, or face higher U.S. Tariffs.
(source: Reuters)