Latest News

Trump says no rush for Iran deal, US blockade stays

Donald Trump, the U.S. president, said that he had told his representatives to not rush into any agreement with Iran. This appeared to dampen expectations of an imminent breakthrough for this three-month old war which were raised by both sides just a day before.

Trump said on Truth Social that the U.S. Blockade of?Iranian Ships in the Strait of Hormuz "would remain in full force until an?agreement was reached, certified and signed".

He said that the negotiations were moving forward and that the U.S.-Iran relationship had become more professional. He added, "Both parties must take the time to get it right." "There can be no errors!"

Trump had said a day earlier that Washington and Iran "largely" negotiated a memorandum of agreement on a deal to reopen Strait of Hormuz. The Strait of Hormuz was used before the conflict for one-fifth of all global oil and LNG shipments.

Trump has repeatedly emphasized the possibility of a deal to end the conflict that Israel and the U.S. started on February 28.

It wasn't clear if the agreement to which he was referring on Sunday was a memorandum that had been discussed, or a more complex and difficult peace settlement likely to take longer.

Both sides are at odds on a number of difficult issues. These include?Iran’s nuclear ambitions, and Tehran’s demands for lifting of sanctions and releasing tens or billions of dollars in Iranian oil revenue frozen abroad.

Media in the U.S., Iran, and other countries reported that the memorandum laying out a framework for ending months-long fighting, if completed, would lift the U.S. ban on Iranian shipping, and reopen a waterway which Iran has closed with threats of attacking shipping.

HOPE OF RELIEF FROM THE GLOBAL ENERGY CRISE

A senior Iranian official told a reporter that the memorandum would be sent for final approval to Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei if it was approved by Iran's Supreme Council of National Security.

Iran's Tasnim News Agency said that disagreements remained on one or two clauses. Tasnim quoted a source who said that there would not be a final agreement if the U.S. continues to?create obstacles.

A military adviser to Khamenei stated that Tehran has the legal right of managing the Strait of Hormuz. However, it is not clear whether this means continuing to choose which ships are allowed to pass through.

A deal that would cement the fragile ceasefire in place today could bring some relief to the markets, but it wouldn't immediately solve a global energy shortage, which is driving up fuel, food, and fertilizer prices.

Abu Dhabi National Oil Company's head said last week that even if the conflict ends today, full flow through the Strait won't return until the first or second quarter in 2027.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards reported that 33 vessels passed through the Strait in the last 24 hours, after receiving permission from Tehran. This is still far below the 140 vessels which would normally pass on a normal day before war.

Trump has said that the U.S. attacked Iran in order to stop it acquiring nuclear weapons, despite his various war goals during the conflict.

In his Sunday post, he emphasized that Iran "must know, however, they cannot develop or obtain a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb".

Iran has denied for years that it was pursuing weapons of mass destruction. It says it has the right to enrich uranium, even though its purity is far greater than what's needed for electricity generation.

IRAN: 'ISSUES NEED TO BE Discussed,'

Sources say that the proposed framework, when it is implemented, will be in three phases: ending the war formally, resolving crisis in Strait of Hormuz, and opening a window of 30 days for negotiations to reach a wider agreement. This period can also be extended.

Trump's approval ratings were hit by the impact of the war on U.S. energy prices. He announced on Friday that he wouldn't be attending his son's marriage this weekend. Trump cited Iran as one reason for staying in Washington.

Axios reported that Trump spoke with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates on Saturday, encouraging them to accept the new framework.

Esmail Baghaei, spokesperson for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, said that on Saturday "the trend in this week is towards a reduction of disputes but there are still?issues which need to be addressed through mediators".

Baghaei said that while the U.S. blocking of Iran's shipping is important, the priority for the government was to end the threat of new U.S. strikes and the conflict in Lebanon.

The U.S. and Israeli bombing of Iran resulted in the deaths of thousands of Iranians before it was stopped by a ceasefire early in April.

Israel has also killed and driven thousands of people from their homes in Lebanon. It invaded the country in pursuit of Iran-backed Hezbollah.

The Iranian attacks on Israel and the Gulf neighbours have resulted in the deaths of dozens. (Additional reporting by Doina Chicu, Ariba Shhid, Hatem Mter, Andrew Mills and Elwely Elwelly; Writing by Kim Coghill and Kevin Liffey;)

(source: Reuters)