Latest News

Americans returning from DRC who have Ebola must enter the US through Washington Dulles

The State Department announced Thursday that as Ebola cases increase in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Uganda, and South Sudan, Americans who visited these countries within the past three weeks should only return to the United States via Washington Dulles, for enhanced screening.

In response to the Ebola epidemic, Customs and Border Protection and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are implementing enhanced public health screenings at Dulles. CBP reported that an Air France flight on Wednesday from Paris to Detroit was diverted to Montreal because a passenger "in mistake" from the DRC boarded.

Marco Rubio, Secretary of State, said that the purpose of the diversion is to prevent Ebola from reaching the United States.

"We diverted a flight to Detroit last night because we had to protect the American public. The first objective is to ensure that Ebola does not reach the United States. "Objective number two is to do everything we can to assist the people in DRC and other neighboring countries so that it does not spread."

The CDC announced on Monday that it would suspend entry for travelers who had been to the DRC or South Sudan in the weeks prior to their arrival in the United States in order reduce the risk of Ebola spreading. The ban does NOT apply to Americans and lawful permanent residents.

In 2014, travelers from three African countries who were returning to the United States due to Ebola fears had their luggage screened at five U.S. Airports, including Dulles in Washington, New York JFK in New York, Chicago O'Hare, and Atlanta.

The rebel alliance in control of the area confirmed on Thursday that a case of Ebola had been detected hundreds of kilometers away from the epicenter of the outbreak, in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s South Kivu province.

According to the World Health Organization, the outbreak is linked to 139 fatalities. As of Wednesday, 600 suspected cases were reported in Ituri province and North Kivu. According to the World Health Organization, two cases were also confirmed in Uganda.

Over the weekend, the WHO declared that the outbreak of the Bundibugyo virus strain, which is not vaccinated, was a public health emergency of international concern.

Earlier this week, Ugandan Information minister Chris Baryomunsi said the U.S. "overreacted" when it banned most travelers from Uganda along with DRC, South Sudan and South Sudan.

(source: Reuters)