Latest News

Mulino denies reports that the US military is evaluating options for the Panama Canal

The Panamanian President, Jose Raul Mulino, said that the reports that the U.S. Military is looking at options to ensure full U.S. Access to the Panama Canal are not credible because they came from anonymous sources.

He said at a press briefing that if no one signed off on such a claim, he didn't give it any weight.

Last week, two anonymous U.S. government officials said that the Pentagon was instructed to assess options in light of President Donald Trump's repeated claims he wanted to "take back", the important global shipping route through Panama.

Trump claimed that the tolls on the canal were too expensive and that China controlled it, but he provided no evidence. Mulino rejected both claims, saying that the waterway was managed in an open and fair manner.

Panama Canal Authority is the government agency that controls the canal. However, Hong Kong-based CK Hutchison holds concessions for two ports at either end.

Earlier this year, CK Hutchison announced that it had sold most of its $22.8 billion global ports business, which included assets in Panama, to a U.S.-based investment group led by BlackRock. This was done as Hong Kong's leader of the city accused foreign governments using "bullying tactics."

Mulino told the press conference that the deal was progressing slowly.

He said he will be meeting the head of Panama Canal Authority to discuss the major port projects in the area and Panama's possible involvement in Trans-Pacific Shipping. At the end of may, he will travel to Houston to meet with key players in the shipping industry.

Mulino said that the logistics behind a "reverse-flow" of migrants forced from the United States to travel south were "under control." He also stated that he will meet Colombian president Gustavo Petro on Friday to discuss their shared border. (Reporting and editing by Elida Morland, Sarah Morland, Daina Beth Solow, Chizu Niyama, Alexandra Hudson).

(source: Reuters)