Latest News

Hapag-Lloyd and CMA CGM shippers suspend Cuba bookings following US executive order

CMA CGM, Hapag-Lloyd and other shipping giants announced on Sunday that they have suspended all bookings for travel to?and out of Cuba until further notice. Both cited a U.S. Executive Order issued on May 1. This is the latest blow inflicted on the island's economic crisis.

Two sources who have direct knowledge of the situation say that the temporary suspension of new order by two of the largest shipping companies in the world could threaten as much as 60 percent of Cuba's volume of shipping. This is a further blow to a nation already on the verge of collapse due to the U.S. blockade of oil, which has slowed down the island's fuel supplies.

In an emailed announcement, the French company stated that "following the U.S. Executive Order dated May 1, CMA CGM decided to suspend their?bookings into or out of Cuba until further notice." The company said it would "closely monitor the situation" as well as adapt its operations to comply with applicable regulations.

Hapag-Lloyd's spokesperson said that the German company had also suspended Cuban orders due to the compliance risks associated with President Obama's executive order of May 1.

The Cuban government didn't immediately respond to an inquiry for comment.

The Trump executive orders on May 1 widened the existing U.S. restrictions on?commerce to Cuba, including "any foreign persons" who operate in "energy, defense, related material, metals, mining, financial services or security sectors of the Cuban economic system, or any other sector."

Sources said that the most affected areas would be Northern Europe and the Mediterranean. Sources added that Northern Europe and the Mediterranean will also be severely affected, but all shipping to Cuba will be affected.

The?sources' said that the main reason for the suspensions was to stop any shipping from or to the communist-run Island and to Gaesa. Gaesa is a vast business conglomerate linked to Cuba's army, which has been heavily sanctioned in the United States.

Sherritt International, a Canadian mining company, pulled out of its nickel and cobalt operations in Cuba earlier this month after decades of investment.

CiberCuba reported the decision of the shippers first. It would be disastrous for Cuban imports that are critical to keep shelves stocked up with supplies in a country already plagued by shortages.

Sources said that Hapag-Lloyd, CMA CGM and other shippers had several options. Shippers can decide to stop shipping to Cuba permanently or they can strike a deal to continue to ship to Cuba under the administration of the?U.S. The shippers could strike a deal with President Donald Trump, in which they would be allowed to continue shipping only to Cuba's?private?sector.

Sources said that the second option would be consistent with the Trump administration’s strategy of giving private businesses in Cuba an edge over the state sector. (Reporting and writing by Gus Trompiz and Christoph Steitz; Additional reporting and writing by Natalia Siniawski, Mathieu rosemain and Christian Plumb. Editing and reviewing by Barbara Lewis and Chris Reese.

(source: Reuters)