Latest News

After a week of protests, operations at Australia's coal port will resume on Monday.

The Port of Newcastle, Australia's largest coal export port, will resume its operations on Monday after protesters against climate change disrupted shipping for the second day in a row on Sunday.

The latest protest was organized by the climate activist group Rising Tide. They claimed that hundreds of activists violated an exclusion zone on Sunday, when they paddled their kayaks in the shipping lane at Newcastle Harbour.

The port is located 170 km north of the state capital of New South Wales, Sydney. It is the largest bulk-shipping port on the east of Australia. Climate change is an issue that divides the nation.

Port of Newcastle spokesperson stated late Sunday that "Vessel operations will resume tomorrow, as scheduled," after general cargo movement, including alumina bound to Australia's biggest aluminium smelter Tomago were aborted because of the protest.

Rising Tide reported that more than 100 people were arrested at the protest on Sunday. The police did not confirm the number immediately, but in a previous statement they said that 21 people had been arrested at the protest and charged with "alleged maritime-related offenses".

Greenpeace Australia Pacific reported that three of its activists had climbed on a coal vessel near the port and stopped it from operating as part of a peaceful demonstration.

Greenpeace Australia Pacific's head of climate change and energy, Joe Rafalowicz, said in a press release that "Greenpeace is taking action this weekend, along with Rising Tide, and thousands of ordinary people."

A protest in Newcastle on Saturday forced a ship arriving to return and the police arrested 11 people. Last year, a similar multi-day action on climate change was held. 170 protesters arrested.

Australia has pledged to achieve net-zero emissions of greenhouse gases by 2050.

(source: Reuters)