Latest News

US official will tell Congress that closing El Paso Airport was not an error.

Next week, the U.S. Department of Transportation will brief Congress about the?the?.

Sudden shutdown

Sean Duffy, Secretary of Transportation, said on Friday that the decision to close Texas' El Paso Airport earlier this month was not a mistake.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) halted all traffic at the airport in February. Initially, the shutdown was to last for 10 days. However, the FAA reversed course and lifted the order within eight hours.

Last week,?and others outlets reported that the FAA had closed the airspace due to?concerns about a military anti-drone laser system being tested nearby at Fort?Bliss.

Duffy, the FAA's director, stated on social media last week that the shutdown was prompted by an incursion of a Mexican drug cartel using drones. However, a drone sighting near an airport typically leads to a short pause in traffic and not an extended shutdown.

Duffy, when asked if the social media post he made about the incident was incorrect, said during a press briefing: "I use all the information I can get."

The lawmakers said that the incident was a result of a lack of coordination among government agencies.

Duffy rejected this idea and said he had a good working relationship with Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth as well as Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem.

The FAA's sudden closure of the nation's 71st most busy airport overnight stranded passengers and caused medical evacuation flights to be disrupted.

Last week, government officials and airline officials informed the FAA that the airspace was closed due to fears the counter-drone systems could cause dangers to air traffic. Sources say that the agencies were supposed to meet on February 20 to discuss the issue, but the Army and Homeland Security Department decided to move forward without FAA approval. This prompted the FAA halting flights.

(source: Reuters)